• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the navy still use hueys

68mustang

I am interested in flying navy helicopters and was wondering if the navy uses any Huey variant and if so for what purpose.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I think the last Navy Hueys were the Station SAR birds which were replaced with MH-60S in the late 2000s (someone correct me if I'm off with the date). But the Navy does own Hueys in a round about way....because they own the Marine Corps. So if you want Hueys, go to the Men's Department. You can get ahead now by taste testing crayons and figuring out which is your favorite color.

68mustang

That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure. Thanks.
I would like to fly hueys but don’t want to eat crayons?. Where does the crayon thing come from. I have herd it before but don’t know the story behind it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I would like to fly hueys but don’t want to eat crayons?. Where does the crayon thing come from. I have herd it before but don’t know the story behind it.
Navy helo fleet is pretty much all H-60s with a small number of MH-53Es and CMV-22s.

USMC is V-22s, 53s, and H-1s.

Don't focus on a specific airframe, once you get commissioned and through flight school you'll love wherever you end up.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The Air Force still has Hueys, they fly security around missile silo installations as well as Washington DC. I concur with @Pags. Never did I ever think I wanted to fly a KC-135, but here I am bouncing in the pattern like it's a cessna.

PEFO Silver-Shades

I was curious were it came from as well, and what from what i saw, the saying came from the perceived annotation that the Marines are the least educated out of the rest of the branches

68mustang

Do the navy H-60s do anything with special forces? I agree with you guys totally on not focusing on a specific air frame but I also want to know more about the airframes and what they do.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Air Force still has Hueys, they fly security around missile silo installations as well as Washington DC. I concur with @Pags. Never did I ever think I wanted to fly a KC-135, but here I am bouncing in the pattern like it's a cessna.
Even the USAF Huey's are going the way of the Dodo. Their replacement is the MH-139 Grey Wolf which is basically a semi-militarized Agusta-Westland 139.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Do the navy H-60s do anything with special forces? I agree with you guys totally on not focusing on a specific air frame but I also want to know more about the airframes and what they do.
Very little. There's a bit more nuance to that answer but if you want to fly SPECOPS you need to look at the Army and USAF.

USN helos do Navy things like hunt subs and surface contacts and logistics within the fleet. USMC helos fly Marines.

68mustang

Also HSC-84! I saw though that they were navy reserve squadrons. Does that mean I have to be in the reserves to fly in those squadrons?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Also HSC-84! I saw though that they were navy reserve squadrons. Does that mean I have to be in the reserves to fly in those squadrons?
84 doesn't exist anymore. 85 is a job you have to grow into and not something you start off doing and definitely the exception to the rule of what Navy Helo drivers do. Bottom line: if you want to do that sort of stuff join the Army or USAF.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Yes. It's complicated. If you want to do the high speed, low drag stuff then you want to become an Army Warrant Officer and stay gunning to go work with the 160th SOAR bubbas. If you want to deliver mail and ice cream to the fleet (for which you will be greatly loved) and sample a wide plethora of box lunches, then the Navy H-60S life is for you. That being said, the Navy 60S bubbas have some "cool" detachments in some shitty parts of the world that are not typical but do exist.