• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the navy still use hueys

68mustang

But I can do Anti-Surface Warfare, Search and Rescue, Combat Search and Rescue, Naval Special Warfare Support and Vertical Replenishment in a navy HSC squadron. Or try and be a pilot in HSC-85 and be complete devoted to Naval Special Warfare Support.

Pags

N/A
pilot
But I can do Anti-Surface Warfare, Search and Rescue, Combat Search and Rescue, Naval Special Warfare Support and Vertical Replenishment in a navy HSC squadron. Or try and be a pilot in HSC-85 and be complete devoted to Naval Special Warfare Support.
You have to do the Fleet HSC thing first (all the stuff you listed) before you can go to 85. And when you're in the fleet, for good or bad, HSC does a lot more ass and trash (logistics) then they do actual SUW, CSAR, and NSW. There are a few exceptions that prove the rule but very few fleet HSC JOs will get a chance to do real world SUW, CSAR, and NSW.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Why did that post twice. Any way a friend of mine just filled me in on what to do to get in 85
I hope he mentioned that there's no guaranteed path to 85. My point is don't become a Naval Aviator with the hope of flying NSW/SPECOPS missions. There are a lot of bitter/disappointed HSC pilots who went HSC hoping to fly SEALs in combat or shoot rockets at bad guys and ended up spending a lot of time flying Starboard D and logistics flights. Fleet standard USN helos just don't do a lot of SEAL support. Maybe that will change as the Forever Desert Wars end but historical data and Big Navy behaviors would indicate that SPECOPS specific aviation units will do the heavy lifting for SPECOPS troops.

68mustang

Yes he did. For me if I do any NSW/SPECOP missions that would be a bonus. The reason I want to be a naval aviator is for the experiences and the life style and flying a helicopter for my career which has been my childhood dream.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes he did. For me if I do any NSW/SPECOP missions that would be a bonus. The reason I want to be a naval aviator is for the experiences and the life style and flying a helicopter for my career which has been my childhood dream.
Right on, just don't want you to go in with misconceptions.

68mustang

No misconceptions here. I know better then to believe recruiters and promotional videos. And I have been listening to everyone on this thread Lol

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No misconceptions here. I know better then to believe recruiters and promotional videos. And I have been listening to everyone on this thread Lol
The chances of you getting to do exactly what you've outlined here is extremely low. You might select P-8, E-2 or TACAMO out of flight school. You get input into the process, but it's ultimately needs of the Navy. "Officer first" is a phrase you'll hear a lot. If you go into this process with a preconceived outcome, you're likely to be disappointed. Naval Aviation is nothing like you think it is, based on what you've said thus far. It's a lot of hard work, long hours, months upon months away from home and your family. Caveat emptor.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Something else to keep in mind with the helo community...Everyone flies SEALs at some point. How often that happens will depend on where you are in the world and what's happening in that part of the world. Sometimes they will be doing things in anger, sometimes just in training, but it happens.

Sonog

pilot
One time two DEVGRU dudes with 4-eyed night vision goggles got in the back of my helicopter. I inserted them into a desert village in the middle of the night and they called in close air support from F/A-18 super hornets. It was in Nevada, but it tickled my fancy enough that I never felt like I missed out by not JOINING THE ARMY.

^^ Typical HSC SOF experience.

68mustang

The chances of you getting to do exactly what you've outlined here is extremely low. You might select P-8, E-2 or TACAMO out of flight school. You get input into the process, but it's ultimately needs of the Navy. "Officer first" is a phrase you'll hear a lot. If you go into this process with a preconceived outcome, you're likely to be disappointed. Naval Aviation is nothing like you think it is, based on what you've said thus far. It's a lot of hard work, long hours, months upon months away from home and your family. Caveat emptor.
I know it is hard. but unlike a lot of people out there I don’t look for the easy path. What you put in you get out. I have asked questions and have done lots of research and have decided that this is the career I want. I know I will be away for months at a time. I haven’t really outlined much other than I want to fly helicopters in the navy and try to fly in an HSC squadron maybe in HSC-85. I also said that if I get to do NSW missions or anything like that it would be a bonus. Flying in the navy is all I have wanted to do my entire life. I don’t care how hard it is.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know it is hard. but unlike a lot of people out there I don’t look for the easy path. What you put in you get out. I have asked questions and have done lots of research and have decided that this is the career I want. I know I will be away for months at a time. I haven’t really outlined much other than I want to fly helicopters in the navy and try to fly in an HSC squadron maybe in HSC-85. I also said that if I get to do NSW missions or anything like that it would be a bonus. Flying in the navy is all I have wanted to do my entire life. I don’t care how hard it is.
Excellent. Best of luck. Recommend you read a lot of the threads here, and keep asking good questions.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
People do get their first choices. People also get their last choices. My buddy had Cobras last on his list and he loved it -- great pilot but sometimes you just can't get what you want. Now he's in the Coast Guard flying 60s and loves that too. I got my first choice and loved it, but now I'm in the AF and it's a good time. I want you to be excited and follow your dream and I think it's healthy to do the research while also understanding life will have its own plan for you, which may or may not actually line up with HSC->HSC-85. But by all means, stay on target.

That said, I know at least three guys from 85 who are now flying the tanker. I know another three who jumped ship for the USCG. Another who left for USAF HH-60Gs. Half a dozen who went airlines. A handful who permanently disappeared into VTs. Some in VR. In fact, I know more people who left HSC than who stayed...by a long shot. There's an HSC bitch thread around here. I don't want to sour you on it because we all had a good time while we were there (mostly), but you may as well read it.

Experiences are relative. Junior copilots at my tanker squadron bitch about some of the most pedantic shit sometimes. And if I had only had their experiences, I likely would do the same. I could sit here and tell you to go straight to the ANG/AF Reserves because it's the best damn deal out there, but you also won't be able to appreciate it without some Navy and Marine Corps style adversity. On that note, read post #282 here. It's funny because it's true.

Goodluck!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
You might select P-8, E-2 or TACAMO out of flight school.

Don't the MPRA and TACAMO planes have toilets and pizza ovens? That sounds like a good time but maybe my priorities have just changed in my old age. :D

@68mustang you seem to be on a good path. I joined AW when I was your age and now I'm a commissioned officer doing IT stuff. Keep your head up, keep working hard, and remember that sustained superior performance will eventually get you where you want.

Mos

None
Don't the MPRA and TACAMO planes have toilets and pizza ovens? That sounds like a good time but maybe my priorities have just changed in my old age.
The P-3 has a toilet but its use is essentially prohibited since there is no system for servicing it. That leaves the 'pisser', a tall bucket for peeing in. After landing, the most junior crewman takes it to a toilet or dumping spot to empty it. P-8 has functioning toilets, though I wonder for how long.