• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dog Tags

jmiller82

Hey, I know this is probably a dumb question to some of you, since I'm a noob, I figured I'd ask anyway:
Do Navy aviators (Pilots/NFO's) still wear dog tags, or is that something of the past or something reserved just for ground guys (Marines/Army)?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Still required... and is a check in the block on your NATOPS checks. (annual re-quals)

squorch2

pilot
I wasn't asked for my dogtags.
From Ch. 20, "NATOPS Evaluation" -

"Area 1 - Brief
Flight Gear.

QUALIFIED. Possess all personal flight gear in accordance with applicable directives. All gear subject to periodic inspections is up to date and current.
UNQUALIFIED. Nonstandard, missing, or out-of-date equipment noted."

The dog tags are a part of your flight gear.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From Ch. 20, "NATOPS Evaluation" -

"Area 1 - Brief
Flight Gear.

QUALIFIED. Possess all personal flight gear in accordance with applicable directives. All gear subject to periodic inspections is up to date and current.
UNQUALIFIED. Nonstandard, missing, or out-of-date equipment noted."

The dog tags are a part of your flight gear.

I didn't have my flight gear either.

Beauty of NATOPS checks in the sim.

squorch2

pilot
NATOPS checks here are quite a bit different... there's an oral plus a sim event PLUS a flight event. Kinda weird that you guys do them in the sim... maybe your NATOPS is diferent, but our says you can't initially qual or qual after a lapse in the sim.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
NATOPS checks here are quite a bit different... there's an oral plus a sim event PLUS a flight event. Kinda weird that you guys do them in the sim... maybe your NATOPS is diferent, but our says you can't initially qual or qual after a lapse in the sim.

Perhaps FlyNavy is just so s***hot that they don't bother to check him out thoroughly?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

You guys are confusing what's required with what's actually practiced. Fly, you're required to have dog tags, just like you're required to have your pubs checked and the "right" kind of boots. However, depending on who does your actual Natops check, none of that may actually be checked.

Squorch, I can't remember what community you're in, but as an example, if you're HSL, things are a bit more sphincter-esque, especially when you're located at a place that actually has sims.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot

In addition to the closed book.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Do Navy aviators (Pilots/NFO's) still wear dog tags, or is that something of the past or something reserved just for ground guys (Marines/Army)?

Only while playing beach volleyball in jeans.

Seriously though, I don't think the one in the boot is required but most of us do it anyway.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
True story - A-6E from TR/VA-36 went down during ODS 2 Feb 91. NFO's body didn't surface until Easter Sunday - the only way hos body was id'd was the dog tag in his boot...