• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dog Tags

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a question about lacing them through the boots. Do you lace a dog tag through every pair of boots you own, or just the boots you wear when you fly?

Does everyone lace a dog tag through their boots?

Well, I don't put them in my Doc Martens. If you mean my combat boots, I would if I wore them more than 3 times a year. A while ago, the old MEF CG pushed that EVERYONE, ground and air, would put a tag in his left boot.

Nowadays, though, with DNA on file, I would think that the only pertinent info on tags is religion and blood type. If they find my foot with no body attached, or my head's been blown off, I'm sure they'll get a DNA swab to confirm my ID either way.

skidz

adrenaline junky
With the tag in the boot, isn't there the possibility of glare off of it? I know that this is an aviator's forum, and there isn't much time on the ground in hostile territory, nor is this Vietnam, but I am asking anyway. A few of my buddies, as well as many of the vets that I talk with, just use duct tape or 90 mile hr tape and fold it around their tags as both silencers and to keep them from reflecting. Anyone else know about this or others who do this?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
My tag is tucked down into the side of my boot, so you can't see it unless you're close... I also put a silencer on it.

lol...we always brought up the "shine of the boot" being non-tactical...thats' just an excuse. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NATOPS checks here are quite a bit different... there's an oral plus a sim event PLUS a flight event. Kinda weird that you guys do them in the sim... maybe your NATOPS is diferent, but our says you can't initially qual or qual after a lapse in the sim.

Different communities do it, uh, differently. In my P-3 days, a big part of the NATOPS check was knowing all the nitnoid stuff about your survival gear. In the Prowler community, it's just not something people worry about on checks. I've never been asked a single question about survival gear. The attitude is that it's your @ss, so the onus is on you.

As for dog tags, I wear mine when I'm going into indian country, otherwise they stay home. They have my DNA on file.

Brett

Huggy Bear

pilot
Haven't worn them since primary. But then again, being single seat there is not much chance of confusing bodies in the wreckage.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OMG flash...it's time to put the bottle down.

Why must one assume that a professional Naval Ociffer is drinking when he or she makes glaring spelling and grammatical mistakes? Shame on you sir!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Before DNA .... and therefore, before O.J. ....

EVERYONE, repeat: EVERYONE ... wore one D/T laced through their boots and one on the front zipper on their current, clean ZOOM bag ... i.e., flight suit.

Again, pre-DNA ... I once had to go down to an accident site. An Amigo .. a former fellow RAG-STUD/BN who I was going to fly with ... died. Between the two of them ... pilot and B/N ... about 5 pounds of meat.

Bad day ....

The only thing we found that was identifiable was my Buddy's wedding ring.

Wear the Dog Tags.

Just do it ... what's the question
:confused: