• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dramatic MH-60S pic ...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Look at the hook-up man's posture, the angle of the blades and where the loads are located. First guess would be he finished a button-hook high and short and is waffling down to the load.

Edit: I forgot that button-hooks were killed in the 90's, I meant 'bow to stern approach'.

Buttonhooks were around 3 years ago in HS.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Wow...so that's really an optical illusion? Interesting...I'll have to think about that one for a while to make it make sense. Some sort of crazy doppler effect for light...:D

Are the tips upswept or downswept?

By the way...can I jack a thread or can I jack a thread?;) :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They're back swept...30 degrees? (don't have a Natops handy) for "noise attenuation." They're in the same plane as the blade, though.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thread%20Hijacked.JPG

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
We still do buttonhooks in HS. Mainly in the TERF environment, but it also comes in handy for dip to dip.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Buttonhooks were around 3 years ago in HS.

I was just making a joke -I was talking about the old-school phrog button hook in the pre "D-CUP" days. The phrase button hook became politically incorrect for awhile, so folks just renamed it a more palatable term.

The 60 is capable of that approach, but since I don't care for the vibes it induces I personally do not.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I was just making a joke -I was talking about the old-school phrog button hook in the pre "D-CUP" days. The phrase button hook became politically incorrect for awhile, so folks just renamed it a more palatable term.

The 60 is capable of that approach, but since I don't care for the vibes it induces I personally do not.

Oh, got ya... wasn't familiar with the background.

The vibes? As I am sure you know it's "supposed" to be that way... it's the Sikorsky shuffle.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Heck Bert - the whole HC '46 community was done in by "political correctness". I'm sure these younger giuys are seeing in in the the current crop of HSC skippers (who proudly display their SWO pin with their wings). But that's a different soapbox/story

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

Vibes = not done right. :) Just kidding. You tend to ignore them the 2nd or 300th time you do it.

Don't ever, EVER let your 2P do their first one without first demonstrating it, however. Almost killed myself that way.

~D

hscs

pilot
I think that same PC-ness in the HSC side of the house is affecting how they treat the tactical syllabus and subsequent training rules. Oh yeah, and they also will tell you that you without a doubt have to get an OOD letter....

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
You tend to ignore them the 2nd or 300th time you do it.

Ignoring that vibe is a skill I never mastered. Besides, the 60 bleeds airspeed so well in a tight turn that all you have to do is swing out a couple of aircraft lengths and roll on your side and you can accomplish the same thing. The extra second it costs you is more than made up for in the hover since your teeth aren't chattering. Never understood why some people couldn't comprehend that speed in VERTREP was all about the time spent in the hover, not the transitions.

I'm sure these younger giuys are seeing in in the the current crop of HSC skippers (who proudly display their SWO pin with their wings). But that's a different soapbox/story

I think that same PC-ness in the HSC side of the house is affecting how they treat the tactical syllabus and subsequent training rules. Oh yeah, and they also will tell you that you without a doubt have to get an OOD letter....

The current crop is getting to be some of my fellow FRS instructors: like any other group, there are some great guys, and then there are some full-on clowns. As long as HSC essentially 'deep selects' their COs from their first tour, the quality is going to be spotty. I don't know what to say about the tactics training for HSC, I too disagree with it but for different reasons. At my last 60S squadron I got very frustrated because we were jamming a wanna-be tactical syllabus down a new kid's throat at every opportunity but never taking the time to teach basic stick and rudder skills. You would get a kid hounding you for a "Mountain VFR" sign-off who would finish the flight with an approach into Pad 3 at NASNI that would make the HSL guys crack jokes about little old ladies flying with their blinkers stuck on. What good was it for me to hold a kid's hand through the NVD syllabus when they would make me leave skid marks coming into a boat day VFR? I get that cost-wise readiness and the SHARPS beast were factors in this, but leadership just did not care about our concerns in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, while I had lots of reasons for leaving HSC, the reason I chose HC in the first place (the people) was still on the balance a positive when I bailed out on HSC. I know they have a couple current/incoming XOs/COs who are are great guys (if you get a choice, work for Menoni or Pfister) and the clowns are no worse than some of the ones I saw as a JO - if not any better either. The frustrations I experienced in the community merge and airframe change just made it all the easier to re-designate, but weren't the reasons.

Finally, the OOD thing is BS, but you have to remember that it was gospel when the current group of COs/XOs were taught it. They aren't so much lying as they just haven't realized how much the truth has changed.

hscs

pilot
so what if they come into a pad slow -- it beats an unnecessary 45 knot sideflare where your tail ends up into the wind.... or worse yet, tags the seawall (as has been done)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I'm talking about shooting a simple, normal approach to the hover that retains some degree of single engine capability prior to getting over flat pavement.

I agree that people who do not understand the interaction of their aircraft's gross weight, DA, power available, wind direction and velocity, size and topography of the landing site, and obstacles along their intended approach path and waveoff routes should not have their nose out of the windline. But they shouldn't be flying without adult supervision, either.

Who hit the seawall?

phrogpilot73

I'm talking about shooting a simple, normal approach to the hover that retains some degree of single engine capability prior to getting over flat pavement.
I don't think that trend is restricted to HCS. In the USMC Phrog community, I had a tough time getting the young Lt's to realize that they didn't need to worry about spilling Jenna & Barbara Bush's drinks in back. Many times I would demonstrate a true no-hover landing (power on the A/C the whole time too), only for them to shoot the same approach ungodly slow and feeling for the deck. I think the problem lies in that (at least in my squadron) our Ops Shop wouldn't let us Unsat them on a flight... So, they got jammed through and took a LONG time to improve. Their feet were never held to the fire.