• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dramatic MH-60S pic ...

MasterBates

The HSL community had (probably still has) issues with basic skills being trained. I did my damndnest to make sure my H2Ps LEARNED something when they were flying...

Good deal Florala Burrito Run? GPS & TACAN are for Pansys. Here's the sectional. On the way back, I'd have them program the computers with waypoints, and we would do a low level the whole way back on NVGs.

Stuck local? St. Mary's Low Level Run.

Pattern? 180 Autos, single engine at higher gross weights, running landings to the taxu way. Single engine to the "ship" on pad 3.

I was the first person to DQ a 2P at the boat that ANYONE could remember. The 3 most experinced JO HACs were there, I was the HAC, and the other 2 were teaming LSOs. AW1 with 4 cruises in the back. We all agreed the guy was NOT ready for prime time.

My command would not let me down him, for various safety of flight issues. I did not want the guy FNAEBd, I wanted to get him a dedicated boat period, with a senior pilot. He would have killed most junior HACs & the crew. That had to be taken higher, as a safety issue by our ASO, before it got fixed.

Oh, and BTW, MOST HSL COs don't even know how to use Hellfire, FLIR, and are NOT NVG qualed. That needs to change.

1rotorhead

pilot
Waiting for the obligatory "it's a shit sandwich but everyone eats it" or "it's good to be well rounded" comment IRT the OOD.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, and BTW, MOST HSL COs don't even know how to use Hellfire, FLIR, and are NOT NVG qualed. That needs to change.

Agree and disagree... I agree it's something they should know. That whole "lead by example" thing, but generally, for HSL, COs don't deploy and aren't tactical, so why waste the greatly reduced money/flight/range time to get someone competent who's "never" going to use it. When/if the paradigm shifts, and HSL/M gets more like an airwing squadron, where the front office is tactical, then I can see putting more energy towards getting them up to speed.

Our front office would eventually get up and get a FLIR Fam and get NVG qual'ed. Some guys even did the NVG TACFORM syllabus so they could continue to talk intelligently about it w/ the wing and other squadrons (we were kind of the training squadron for a while...even trained up some East Coast guys). But in the end, they all admitted to not really being tactical, and chose not to waste the flight time to keep them current on everything.

MasterBates

Maybe not shoot a hellfire, but NVG qual cost us nothing, besides allocation they were going to burn anyways. FLIR can be done on any hop, day or night.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think we crossed posted while I was editing. See above. FLIR can be done on any hop provided you have the asset. You guys had a hell of a lot more assets than we did on the left coast. It was pretty high viz when one of those went down and there was constant swapping going on.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
back from the grave

Coming in a little fast on the pick?

web_070316-M-7459S-158.jpg

Back to the original question...he isn't coming in too fast and I don't think he's doing a straight in. I think he sideflared right. No biggie.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Back off the original question...60Flyer, your Avatar saying is awesomely appropriate, but I'd like to add a bit to it, if I may,

HSC...
Kool-AidMan.jpg

There. Now it's even more fitting. I just wish I could have made him look more tactical.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Nah.....I'm not a tactics kinda flyer. Give me VERTREP any day over TERF.

Haven't you heard? We don't need VERTREP anymore. Now we have missiles and everything. Pretty soon we'll be nearly as awesome as those HS guys with all their cool C SAR*. Now be a good boy and drink your Kool-Aid.

*By C SAR I mean training since no HS squadron has performed an actual C-SAR since Vietnam, though let's not let that stop us from devoting copius amounts of flight hours and resources to train for it.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Haven't you heard? We don't need VERTREP anymore. Now we have missiles and everything. Pretty soon we'll be nearly as awesome as those HS guys with all their cool C SAR*. Now be a good boy and drink your Kool-Aid.

*By C SAR I mean training since no HS squadron has performed an actual C-SAR since Vietnam, though let's not let that stop us from devoting copius amounts of flight hours and resources to train for it.

Nah...still fighting it....spitting out the kool-aid. I'm too old - never got the armed helo training in the FRS. I managed to squeak out a VERTREP cruise and a humanitarian cruise - phew!

And I'm a girl....