• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dream sheet--WWII

What WWII USN/USMC aircraft would you want to fly?

• Total voters

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Since the '60s-70s dream sheet thread has been such a winner, I thought a WWII dream sheet would also be pretty cool. Navy/Marine aircraft only for this one, of course. No Mustang or Superfortress here. Two choices only as before, please.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
F4U Corsair. If you haven't seen this bird at NASP, then you are WRONG! Beautiful!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Would have to go with the Avenger or some kind of divebomber. Those guys had major cajones. The C-47 comes in third, mainly because my grandfather flew them.

Flugelman

Contributor
Since they had AP's back then, I'll sign up for the F7F Tigercat. 2 R2800s in a 25,000 lb aircraft. Wowzer! :eek:

My stepdad flew F4U's in Korea (among others) and had to get out of one at Atsugi when the external fuel tank leaked and caught fire. Maybe I can get him to come in here and tell his story.

B

Blutonski816

Corsairs and Avengers...

suprised Hellcats aren't on the list...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Fixed it. Hopefully I haven't missed any other major aircraft. If anyone asks for the Brewster Buffalo, though, pissoff. I already put another turkey, the Devastator, on there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's Douglas, not Douglass. And they are the TBD Devastator and the SBD Dauntless.

Details.......;)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dauntless and Corsairs... in that order.

I lived above a guy that flew Dauntless's... Some of the stories he had were like "holy sh*t, I can't believe you lived through that!!!" Awesome guy... pretty much every time I talked to him, he was sneaking out of the house to meet with old squadron mates for pizza.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Hellcat, without a doubt.

Much like the hornet today, it was forgivable, handled well, relatively easy behind the boat, tough, versatile, and maneuverable if somewhat on the slower end for fighters of the day. With more than 5,000 kills it had more than twice as many as the corsair or any other USAAF plane serving in the pacific. This plane and it's pilots are what crushed Japanese airpower in the last 2 years of the war.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
F4U because I have always liked that bird.
Avenger because the torpedo bombing mission intrigues me.