• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dream sheet--WWII

What WWII USN/USMC aircraft would you want to fly?

• Total voters

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
You like the "going out in a blaze of glory" thing, huh?

That "going out in a blaze of glory" thing can have a negative impact on your liberty plans, but LCDR Waldron's sacrifice of VT-8 allowed LCDR McClusky's dive bombers to savage the Kaga and Akage virtually unopposed. It was a key element in winning the Battle of Midway and marginalizing the Imperial Navy.

Although not quite as nice as growing old with the family, he did get a destroyer and an airfield named after him, a Navy Cross, and a place in Memorial Hall.

Cheers,

Oh, F4U's all the way. Sexiest airplane ever built...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, also change the C-47 to the proper USN/USMC designation R4-D :icon_smil
Make that R4D. Dashes only used if there was a variant like R4D-1 or R4D-2.

*would push glasses up if I wore any*

Pags

N/A
pilot
Fair enough. Both were delivered before the war ended but didn't see operational service in WWII. Should I yank the Tigercat?

VF-19 was westward bound on USS Langley with the first squadron of F8Fs when the war ended.

vf19.jpg

USS_Langley_CVL-27.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hellcat followed by Wildcat. What can I say, I all love Grumman Products, except this:

300px-Small_USPS_Truck.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have to go with the Corsair ....Sure the Hellcats might have put up better numbers, but there were a shit-ton more of them since the Navy flew them and the Corsair was limited to the Marines...
I think the Hellcat and Corsair made their combat debuts the same month. By the time the Corsair was making itself felt in any numbers, the J's had lost their "best & brightest" fighter jocks, so any comparison would be tough, at best.

The Marines got them 'cause they needed a replacement ASAP for the Wildcat, and the Navy needed plenty of carrier suitable aircraft. The Corsair, while having superior performance stats to the Hellcat, proved herself to be singularly unsuitable for carrier operations for a variety of reasons -- that's why she's lower on my "dream sheet". :)

The "real stats":

Hellcats - flew 45% of all fighter sorties during the Pacific War ... achieved a kill ratio of 19:1, and produced > 300 Aces.

Corsair - flew 44% of all fighter sorties during the Pacific War (only 15% from carrier decks) ... achieved a kill ratio of 11.1, and produced < 35 (?) Aces.

Hellcats & Carriers all the way, Baby ... :D

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I go back to my roots in patrol aviation. Back in the days when the message "sighted sub, sank same" actually had a chance of actually being sent.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I go back to my roots in patrol aviation. Back in the days when the message "sighted sub, sank same" actually had a chance of actually being sent.

than you might want to get in to one of these.... I think the Harpoon actually raided some of the Japanese held Aleutians as well as sink a butt-ton of U-boats in the Atlantic.

HRPON%2022.jpg