• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

drug smuggling via submarine

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/19/drug.subs/index.html

Are Navy aircraft ever launched to smoke these guys out of the water?

Cocaine smugglers turn to submarines, feds say

U.S. Navy, Coast Guard and Drug Enforcement Administration officials say South American drug cartels are turning to semi-submersible vessels, which have a low profile to avoid detection, because of the government's success at thwarting other smuggling techniques, including the use of fishing trawlers and speed boats.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Nope. A surface asset usually tries to come along side or aboard and get the smugglers off the vessel before they scuttle it (you want the evidence to prosecute).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too soon to retire S-3B Vikings?

Nope. A surface asset usually tries to come along side or aboard and get the smugglers off the vessel before they scuttle it (you want the evidence to prosecute).

Sometimes they don't succeed (the scuttle part, that is)

web_080914-N-8310C-003.jpg

The guided-missile frigate USS McInerney (FFG 8) tows a self-propelled, semi-submersible craft seized Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 by Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment 404. US Navy photo

web_080913-N-0000F-087.jpg

Members of U.S. Coast Guard law enforcement detachment 404 survey the deck of the self-propelled, semi-submersible craft seized on 13 Sept. US Navy photo

web_080913-N-0000F-071.jpg

Some of the 37 bales of cocaine are seen in one of the compartments of a self-propelled, semi-submersible vessel interdicted at sea Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008, by the guided-missile frigate USS McInerney (FFG 8). Members of U.S. Coast Guard law enforcement detachment 404, embarked aboard the McInerney, seized the estimated $187 million worth of cocaine during a night raid about 350 miles west of Guatemala. The seized vessel has the capability to travel from Ecuador to San Diego, Calif. (U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Nico Figueroa/Released)

web_070819-O-0000X-001.jpg

Coordination between U.S. Coast Guard, Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection, and crews from a U.S. Navy P-3C Orion and the frigate USS Dewert (FFG 45), resulted in the seizure of an estimated $352 million of cocaine during an interdicted and boarding operation on a self-propelled semi-submersible vessel in the Eastern Pacific, Sunday, Aug 19. Photo courtesy U.S. Customs and Border Protection (RELEASED)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass again, but I thought I'd heard that Coast Guard snipers or something are on some Navy helos to intercept drug boats and the like. Complete fallacy?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I've watched a coast guard helo open fire on a drug boat before... not to sink it, but to disable its engines so it could be boarded.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've watched a coast guard helo open fire on a drug boat before... not to sink it, but to disable its engines so it could be boarded.

Right. Just to clarify, this is what I'd heard and meant to convey. Not that Coast Guard guys were sniping people or anything.

That's awesome.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass again, but I thought I'd heard that Coast Guard snipers or something are on some Navy helos to intercept drug boats and the like. Complete fallacy?

It's called "AUF," and yes, it's done now. There are limits to how they can be utilized, but a Barret tends to get the point across.

The CG started with this and now the Navy is allowed to play.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The CG started with this and now the Navy is allowed to play.

That sounds pretty sweet. Or, at least it sounds like a step up from the stories my old CO used to tell about doing drug interdiction and having to try to stop the boats using the rotorwash from the helo, b/c they weren't allowed to shoot.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That sounds pretty sweet. Or, at least it sounds like a step up from the stories my old CO used to tell about doing drug interdiction and having to try to stop the boats using the rotorwash from the helo, b/c they weren't allowed to shoot.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's a heck of a lot of fun, though...

Attachments

• gofast.Sunset.ER57.jpg
    gofast.Sunset.ER57.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 170