• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

experienced pilot: will it help or hurt?

flyinag12

Texas A&M Class of '06
Hi! I am interested in applying to fly in the Navy, and have been thinking deeply about it for a long time (since I was 10). However, I never followed through and have sought a career as a civilian pilot. I currently fly corporate jets (Westwinds) for a charter operator out of Houston, and have about 1600 hours total flight time, with a few hundred in turbine aircraft, and 4 years of instruction experience. I am a recent graduate of Texas A&M with a Bachelors degree in Management with a 2.92 gpa. Does the Navy consider extensive civilian flight experience as an asset or a drawback? I understand they like to pick good people, and train good pilots, but wouldnt they love all that jet experience free of charge? I am in good physical shape and love flying (iow: very motivated to be the best pilot I can). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand they like to pick good people, and train good pilots, but wouldnt they love all that jet experience free of charge? I am in good physical shape and love flying (iow: very motivated to be the best pilot I can). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

They don't quite look at it that way (ie love getting all that jet experience free of charge). It's not like you are being hired by another airline. You'll have to go through flight school like anyone else and you'll likely have a slight advantage when it comes to airways nav, but flight school is also demanding and you'll have to prove that jet experience hasn't given you any bad habits from the Naval Aviaiton perspective. You'll be asked to do things you likely haven't done before and be assessed on how quickly you can learn them and how well you perform under stress (not usually part of civilian flying for the most part). As long as you don't think you're better than the next flight student, you'll do alright.

MasterBates

Being a guy who went to Primary with about 1000 hours, (comm helo pilot) keep in mind:

This is NAVY FLYING. While we have some exemptions from the FARs in a few areas, we add more regs than we lose thru OPNAV 3710, NATOPS, Squadron & Wing SOPs, etc.. This was the hardest thing for me to deal with.

You lose a few "freebie" flights when you are accelerated. IIRC, the first 3 or 4 flights in primary, did not factor into your grades for selection. This may be different now. Anyway, was "Game ON" from fam 1. My fixed wing experience was strictly Cessna 152s and such, so flying a 500hp turbprop was a bit of an adjustment for me.

Outside of flight school, I have felt that my experience has been a real double edged sword. With barb wire on the grip.

I got a lot of the "you should have known better" treatment when I was flying as a CoPilot, and the Aircraft Commander did something stupid.

When I used my experience to make a decision that overruled the HAC, (i.e. THUNDERSTORM BAD!!!) I would get smoked by the HAC.

If you are in a situation where the CO or other authority COULD waive some requirement, such as total hours, or instrument time, don't expect it.

I had 150 hours MORE in model (400/250 req'd) to make HAC, but less than "normal" (500ish). CO made me wait a year and go on another H2P cruise, which gooned up my timing for a HAC cruise, which squashed my chances for making O-4 and screening for Department Head (needed if you want to stay long enough to retire, like I did)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a bud who started flight school with 1800 hours, mostly smaller prop aircraft but had twin engine experience as well. I believe he had his aerobatic rating as well, if there is such a thing. He smoked the program like you read about. IMO, the navy way isn't difficult and if you can't learn it with your experience, you weren't going to learn it regardless. I think your flight time will only help not hurt.

MasterBates

I had 600 total (NAVY) (1600 Total)
1400/500 Helicopter (Total/Navy)
400 in SH60B

Just to clairify, I had well more than the mins, just based off of Navy time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
;) Boy, talk about a threadjack...maybe you guys out to get a new "thread" so the Flying Aggie can get some feedback on his immediate question

MasterBates

Look under my name. I don't intentionally do it, but it happens. Like looking at womens chests. Involuntary reaction.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I only mentioned it as the aspirant in question is looking for feedback and if he subscribed to the thread, every time he gets a hit, he'll see you guys discussing post first tour stuff that perhaps would be better in the Private Naval Aviator's forum...interesting stuff, but I don't think it was what he was looking for..over to Gatordev as he has the power to make it so. Just a suggestion on my part.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Moved. I was leaving it in case other's might find it worthwhile. Master was still discussing his civilian time, so thought it still applied. Then it diverged quickly. :)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hi! I am interested in applying to fly in the Navy, and have been thinking deeply about it for a long time (since I was 10). However, I never followed through and have sought a career as a civilian pilot. I currently fly corporate jets (Westwinds) for a charter operator out of Houston, and have about 1600 hours total flight time, with a few hundred in turbine aircraft, and 4 years of instruction experience. I am a recent graduate of Texas A&M with a Bachelors degree in Management with a 2.92 gpa. Does the Navy consider extensive civilian flight experience as an asset or a drawback? I understand they like to pick good people, and train good pilots, but wouldnt they love all that jet experience free of charge? I am in good physical shape and love flying (iow: very motivated to be the best pilot I can). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

With all of that being said, prior flight time doesn't hurt. However, I would say your GPA and major might. It has been a long time since I went through an accession program, but after reading a lot stats/scores of folks going through them now I would say you are less than competitive. I would start doing a lot of research to find out how you stack up and what they next steps are.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We've been down this question-marked, "what's YOUR guess" road so many times .... :sleep_125

1. If you are an "average" NAVAIR STUD ... prior flight time can only help --- can't hurt !!!

2. If you are a "Blue Angel" .... prior flight time won't make any difference.

3. If you are a "Plumber" .... prior flight time won't make any difference.

It never changes ... my $20 worth. :)