• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

experienced pilot: will it help or hurt?

pdx

HSM Pilot
I knew two guys at primary with 600-800 hours in charter citation jets. Both were similar in academics and (probably) had similar flight skills. One had a great attitude about re-learning to fly, and the other was a cocky SOB.

One of these guys is in Meridian, the other is at home sitting on his couch eating Cheetos and critiquing videos of the Blue Angels.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prior flight time usually helps.. provided you can adapt and learn the Navy way of doing things. I only had 58 hours before starting Primary... it helped in the beginning. I was smoother and a little more confident over other students. However, once you get to stuff like Form and Instruments... that goes out the window. It's new to everyone else and you.

In your case, you have a lot more experience. Some things will be a breeze for you. So long as you actually do them the way the Navy wants you to, you'll be fine and should smoke the program. You'll be humbled greatly when you get to stuff you've never done as a civilian.

Good attitude and a desire to learn the Navy way will make your experience a money maker. More than enough high-time guys come through and smoke it. There are also a fair share of 1000+ guys who attrited... their own fault.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I had about 30-35 hours in a C-150 ... an FIP Program grad ... it hurt me as "they" expected more of me than I was capable of giving at the cut-off point @ 8 hops in VT-1 --- the solo point for the "advanced" syllabus with prior flight time.

... I dropped back to the "normal" syllabus -- 12 hops to solo (4 more hops) , "got the picture" ... and never looked back. I was usually first or second in every stage of training and got Wings as #2 out of a 44 man class. Prior time almost kept me from getting jets -- flight grades in 8 hops @ VT-1.

vt12s121.jpg

.....VT-1 @ Saufley field back-in-the-Day ...

It's still ... "the guy". You either "have it", or you don't ... I've trained hundreds of pilots over the years and I can tell in the brief whether or not the guy is going to do well --- military or civilian. I've only been suprised a couple of times .... :) So don't suprise me.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew two guys at primary with 600-800 hours in charter citation jets. Both were similar in academics and (probably) had similar flight skills. One had a great attitude about re-learning to fly, and the other was a cocky SOB.

One of these guys is in Meridian, the other is at home sitting on his couch eating Cheetos and critiquing videos of the Blue Angels.

Almost same can be said for retread NFOs. Despite a lot of flight hours, some can't master the hand-eye coordination yet others smoke the program. Like A4s said....it's the person that ultimately prevails despite the hours in your logbook

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Almost same can be said for retread NFOs. Despite a lot of flight hours, some can't master the hand-eye coordination yet others smoke the program. Like A4s said....it's the person that ultimately prevails despite the hours in your logbook

As evidenced by a recent Prowler retread who DQ'd @ the boat.

Brett

MasterBates

I had about 30-35 hours in a C-150 ... an FIP Program grad ... it hurt me as "they" expected more of me than I was capable of giving at the cut-off point @ 8 hops in VT-1 --- the solo point for the "advanced" syllabus with prior flight time.

... I dropped back to the "normal" syllabus -- 12 hops to solo (4 more hops) , "got the picture" ... and never looked back. I was usually first or second in every stage of training and got Wings as #2 out of a 44 man class. Prior time almost kept me from getting jets -- flight grades in 8 hops @ VT-1.

[/SIZE][/I]
It's still ... "the guy". You either "have it", or you don't ... I've trained hundreds of pilots over the years and I can tell in the brief whether or not the guy is going to do well --- military or civilian. I've only been suprised a couple of times .... :) So don't suprise me.

King of Limes,

I think that the prior flight time (almost all in HELOS) did hurt me a bit in early FAMS as well. Less time to get used to a relativley powerful turbo-prop, while them having an expextation that I had more FW experience.

Still made the jet cut (and not by the skin of my teeth either) but it cost me #1 in my week (missed by a RCH) and jets.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
King of Limes,

I think that the prior flight time (almost all in HELOS) did hurt me a bit in early FAMS as well. Less time to get used to a relativley powerful turbo-prop, while them having an expextation that I had more FW experience.

Still made the jet cut (and not by the skin of my teeth either) but it cost me #1 in my week (missed by a RCH) and jets.
And there you go ... I've always said on these "what does it take/what will help me " threads (??) .... do the best job you possibly can ... and the rest is timing. Timing, unfortunately .. is out of our hands.

And that's why anyone herein -- that's reading this thread -- is reading it: timing. :)

Speaking of limes ... it's time.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Wasn't this guy asking more about whether it will help his chances getting selected? I thought that was the question since his GPA is on the low side?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wasn't this guy asking more about whether it will help his chances getting selected? I thought that was the question since his GPA is on the low side?

Yeah ... but how many of these AW threads stay on course ??? One?? Three ?? How many fingers do you have on one hand ???

His/her GPA sucks ... he/she will need a war and/or a Daddy with connections .... the prior flight time won't help. Hope this "helps" and is not a "downer" ... keep smilin' and squeezin' limes .... :)

fighterpfeif

(Please don't rip me apart because I am not at flight training or have my wings.)

I got an alright number hours civilian and I can't wait to go to Primary, first because I get to fly something Navy, but also becasue I can get a clean slate. I can only speak for myself, but I can't wait to get started anew and be able to act like a brand new pilot (I know that I will already have expectations to meet). I would assume that some civilian pilots heading over to the Navy would feel the same, everything you did in the civilian world doesn't matter just forget about that and restart flying.

Just what I can observe looking from the outside in as a BDCPer.

pdx

HSM Pilot
(Please don't rip me apart because I am not at flight training or have my wings.)

I got an alright number hours civilian and I can't wait to go to Primary, first because I get to fly something Navy, but also becasue I can get a clean slate. I can only speak for myself, but I can't wait to get started anew and be able to act like a brand new pilot (I know that I will already have expectations to meet). I would assume that some civilian pilots heading over to the Navy would feel the same, everything you did in the civilian world doesn't matter just forget about that and restart flying.

Just what I can observe looking from the outside in as a BDCPer.

Not a bad attitude, you will do good with this. However, you do not get to start with a completely clean slate. Some instructors will expect certain things from you civilian hours. It's not a big deal, though. The biggest determining factor I saw was attitude.

fighterpfeif

I know there are expectations to meet in the Navy, I just hope the things that get under my skin about civilian flying aren't as numerous.