• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

experienced pilot: will it help or hurt?

pdx

HSM Pilot
I just want to get away from the country club like feeling I have at my FBO and the feeling that I have everyone over my shoulder watching to see if I am gonna to mess up (I have a flying job at the airport). I know there are expectations to meet in the Navy, I just hope the things that get under my skin about civilian flying aren't as numerous.

Keep hoping.

Be prepared to be under the microscope. Every aspect of your flying will be continually evaluated and critiqued. I have never been very sensitive about criticism, but I will be honest and say the first 13 flights were tough for me. At the end of every flight you will have a debrief and you will be graded. Plus, you will be quizzed in the plane.

Most of the instructors are awesome, but they are still not going to tolerate a defensive or pouty attitude from a student.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep hoping.

Be prepared to be under the microscope. Every aspect of your flying will be continually evaluated and critiqued. I have never been very sensitive about criticism, but I will be honest and say the first 13 flights were tough for me. At the end of every flight you will have a debrief and you will be graded. Plus, you will be quizzed in the plane.

Most of the instructors are awesome, but they are still not going to tolerate a defensive or pouty attitude from a student.

It's no different in the fleet. Every flight will be thoroughly debriefed, including every fvck up, bad decision, and sloppy maneuver you perform. Criticism is how we improve as aviators.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's no different in the fleet. Every flight will be thoroughly debriefed, including every fvck up, bad decision, and sloppy maneuver you perform. ....
That's completely true ... military or civilian.

And for all of you who are multi-crew proponents ... it is probably the BIGGEST benefit of being in a single-seat cockpit. Otherwise .... whenever, wherever, however you fly ... if you do it with anyone else onboard, military or civilian ... SOMEONE is watching you and may ultimately "critique" you. That is a never ending, eternal fact of aviation.

I've done things in the A-4 that I probably wouldn't have done had there been another crewman sitting next to me.:):eek:

And I've done things in the multi-crew environment that I probably wouldn't have done were I alone .... :):eek:

MasterBates

Nah, its just easier to relieve stress from ATC when you can beat the left-seater with your kneeboard, and make them fly the holding pattern you are stuck in. (helo pilots are right seat, with CoPilot/ATO left seat)