• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-15 giving new meaning to high performance T/O & Taxi

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'd be more impressed if he could do all that hovering with an L-Pod, 2 full drops, and 2 GBU-10's!

We don't carry GBU-10s. Not for weight reasons, but because we don't use a compatable BRUU (lug spacing).

It'll hover fine with a TPOD and empty drops, but full drops would interfere with the whole F=MA thing.

I get your point, though. That would be cool.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
We don't carry GBU-10s. Not for weight reasons, but because we don't use a compatable BRUU (lug spacing).

It'll hover fine with a TPOD and empty drops, but full drops would interfere with the whole F=MA thing.

I get your point, though. That would be cool.

No crowd pleaser's??? That's disappointing!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I meant to say ORM...F-15 being an AF jet and all. I haven't seen any plane pull nearly vertical after that short of a T/O roll before and I sure haven't even seen one pull a wheelie for that long. Tough crowd!

Need to start learning terms or we'll have to send you over to Nose in the Stupid Questions Thread:

1) Rollout after landing is not called "taxi"

2) "Pull[ing] nearly vertical" is something you do in the air; the pilot is using aero braking and it's not called a "wheelie" (that's for motorcycles or bikes). A-7s used to do it and saw it routinely at Nellis. It's not a stunt requiring ORM. It's a way to use aerodynamic "braking" in lieu of standing on the brakes. Tomcats did it without having to lift the nose (the horizontal stabs were so large that pulling on stick turned them into huge speedbrakes).

Rg9

pilot
Need to start learning terms or we'll have to send you over to Nose in the Stupid Questions Thread:

1) Rollout after landing is not called "taxi"

2) "Pull[ing] nearly vertical" is something you do in the air; the pilot is using aero braking and it's not called a "wheelie" (that's for motorcycles or bikes). A-7s used to do it and saw it routinely at Nellis. It's not a stunt requiring ORM. It's a way to use aerodynamic "braking" in lieu of standing on the brakes. Tomcats did it without having to lift the nose (the horizontal stabs were so large that pulling on stick turned them into huge speedbrakes).
I think "pulling nearly vertical" was referring to the takeoff, not the landing. As for aero-braking, it appeared from the video that he was controlling the aircraft in that position at taxi speeds, thus the question as to whether or not he WAS taxiing or just on landing rollout.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Harrier Dude said:
so it's all just a moo point.

Ahhhh, you mean it's like a cow's opinion.

181230__joey_l.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think "pulling nearly vertical" was referring to the takeoff, not the landing. As for aero-braking, it appeared from the video that he was controlling the aircraft in that position at taxi speeds, thus the question as to whether or not he WAS taxiing or just on landing rollout.

I went back and reread his comments and agree on point one, but as far as "taxi" issue, there is no question whether aircraft was taxiing or on rollout. Aerobraking is permitted on rollout, but is not an option on taxiway (either by regs or even possible aerodynamically).

Rg9

pilot
I went back and reread his comments and agree on point one, but as far as "taxi" issue, there is no question whether aircraft was taxiing or on rollout. Aerobraking is permitted on rollout, but is not an option on taxiway (either by regs or even possible aerodynamically).
How slow can you go and still get enough lift to do it?

Screamtruth

นักมวย
The demo jet, which is lighter, can probably do that down to 50 or 60 knots.

A side question:

I noticed during his take-off roll, towards the end of the roll ot looked like he was putting a little foward pressure on the stabs............Do you guys normally have to do that? I figured he was trying to keep the nose down before he rotated due to the fact that the bird was clean and he may have been over the normal rotation speed.

BTW, what is Vr for a F15?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I noticed during his take-off roll, towards the end of the roll ot looked like he was putting a little foward pressure on the stabs............Do you guys normally have to do that? I figured he was trying to keep the nose down before he rotated due to the fact that the bird was clean and he may have been over the normal rotation speed.

I'm not a demo team pilot, so I'm not sure what they do for the takeoff.

BTW, what is Vr for a F15?

160-ish knots, depending on weight. A clean -229 jet will probably do it at about 150 or lower.

In the video of Boeing's F-15 demo for South Korea, they have the demo pilot's in-cockpit audio dubbed in. He says "100 knots, rotate" on the video, then lifts off immediately!

Screamtruth

นักมวย
I'm not a demo team pilot, so I'm not sure what they do for the takeoff.

160-ish knots, depending on weight. A clean -229 jet will probably do it at about 150 or lower.

In the video of Boeing's F-15 demo for South Korea, they have the demo pilot's in-cockpit audio dubbed in. He says "100 knots, rotate" on the video, then lifts off immediately!

Thanks for the reply and the info.

(Just saw you are in the UK...............gotta love that exchange rate. Roundabouts suck, I have 1 crash and 3 near misses on those damn things.)