• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 joyride?

motiv8r

I heard a rumor the other day that back in the mid-90's a motivated F-18 mechanic at Miramar bet his fellow Marines that he could take off and land a Hornet. Everyone thought he was joking until he got in the cockpit, took off, made a lap around the airfield, and landed it safely. Evidently he got in a little trouble....if he was one of mine I'd recommend him for MECEP. Anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on it over the internet but it sounds so crazy it has to be true.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard a rumor the other day that back in the mid-90's a motivated F-18 mechanic at Miramar bet his fellow Marines that he could take off and land a Hornet. Everyone thought he was joking until he got in the cockpit, took off, made a lap around the airfield, and landed it safely. Evidently he got in a little trouble....if he was one of mine I'd recommend him for MECEP. Anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on it over the internet but it sounds so crazy it has to be true.

I remember it being a JAG episode.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
if he was one of mine I'd recommend him for MECEP. Anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on it over the internet but it sounds so crazy it has to be true.

I seriously doubt this happened but if it did he is probably still in Leavenworth and you need to seriously rethink how you lead your Marines.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's an urban legend. I heard it was a Sailor at Cecil Field. It seems pretty far fetched to say the least.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No joke, something similar did happen several years back. I remember reading it in a real newspaper. I'll have to do a search and get back to you. I think it was an orange-and-white (trainer), though.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Heard it was an A-4 in El Toro... and he ended up with an electrical power failure in the process or something...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Heard it was an A-4 in El Toro... and he ended up with an electrical power failure in the process or something...

Lots of urban legends have some grounding in reality; this might be the genesis of where this one came from:

Air Incursions and Attempted Air Incursions

Robert K. Preston (February 1974). On February 17, 1974, Robert Preston, a private in the Army, stole an Army helicopter from Fort Meade, Maryland, and flew it to the White House Complex. He passed over the Executive Mansion and then returned to the south grounds, where he hovered for about 6 minutes and touched down briefly approximately 150 feet from the West Wing. Members of the EPS did not know who was piloting the aircraft and were not aware that it had been stolen from Fort Meade. They made no attempt to shoot down the helicopter.

Preston left the area of the White House and flew the helicopter back toward Fort Meade. He was chased by two Maryland State Police helicopters, one of which he forced down through his erratic maneuvers. Preston then returned to the White House Complex. As he lowered himself to about 30 feet above the south grounds, EPS officers barraged the helicopter with shotgun and submachine gunfire. Preston immediately set the riddled aircraft down. He was injured slightly.

[FAS Note: In response to the preceding paragraphs, the following first-person account of the Preston incident was provided by Maryland State Police First Sergeant (ret.) Louis W. Saffran and inserted here by FAS:]
The Maryland State Police Helicopter was not with the Stolen Helicopter when it first flew over the White House. The State Police Helicopter responded after being notified by Andrews AFB Tower that there was a problem with a rogue Helicopter in the area of BWI Airport. The Crew of the State Police Helicopter responded to BWI Airport and chased the rogue Helicopter down the Baltimore/Washington Parkway (I-295) into the restricted area of D.C. After a brief dog fight around the Washington Monument, the rogue Helicopter flew toward the White House, over the fence and on to the White House lawn. It was at this time that the Maryland State Police Helicopter took a position between the rogue Helicopter and the White House in an attempt to keep the Rogue Helicopter from harming the White House. It was at this time that the Secret Service fired on the Rogue Helicopter, forcing it to the ground. Robert Preston, pilot of the rogue Helicopter, exited the aircraft and ran toward the White House. I exited the State Police Helicopter, and along with the Secret Service Officers, subdued Preston after a short foot chase.

This escapade was documented in the Congressional Record, Per Senator Goodloe Byron, and in many newspaper articles throughout the United States. The facts of this incident were provided to then-President Richard Nixon who called Trooper Donald Sewell and me to the Oval Office later that week for a Presidential Commendation.

At no time was a Maryland State Police Helicopter forced down by the rogue Helicopter. The State Police were instrumental in the downing and capture of the rogue aircraft and its Pilot on the White House Lawn.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/ustreas/usss/t1pubrpt.html

Jay

Cessna had a mechanic take a Citation II out for a joyride on a dare by his buddies in the mid-80's. Made it around the pattern and stalled and crashed on landing. Took a tour of one of their production facilities on a X/C during Primary and saw the pictures and heard the story.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the P-3 pilot who crashed in Pago Pago took his dad up in a P-3, alone with no other crew, some time before the accident. The Dad told someone (CO?) how great that was at his son's funeral. Have heard this numerous times.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe the P-3 pilot who crashed in Pago Pago took his dad up in a P-3, alone with no other crew, some time before the accident. The Dad told someone (CO?) how great that was at his son's funeral. Have heard this numerous times.
Ditto...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Truth. I've read the TYPED (not printed from MS Word) accident report.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

are any of you multi-seat guys ever able to arrange guest rides for friends/family that meet NATOPS regs (medically) or is that always a no-no? I know that reporters and certain VIPs sometimes get the special treat, so I was just wondering if this ever extends to others

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure what you mean. As in friends/family have up-chits from a Flight Doc? Sure, with the proper permission.

If not, and you mean "I read the regs and XXXX would pass a flight physical", then the answer is no. Generally. That said, I've seen Skippers give the OK for PAO flights with retirees (former Aircrew, and by former I mean WWII). It depends on what the Old Man says.

You want to give free rides to anybody, go PEP. Last month my 2P brought his caddy on a tac trainer.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
are any of you multi-seat guys ever able to arrange guest rides for friends/family that meet NATOPS regs (medically) or is that always a no-no? I know that reporters and certain VIPs sometimes get the special treat, so I was just wondering if this ever extends to others
I took my dad, a retired Army officer, on a P-3 cross country from Moffet Field to Barbers Point and back one weekend. It was a non-tactical flight and he rode as a space A passenger.