• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 joyride?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
For most back seat rides (non wing wearing), approval for phys/water, as well as the flight itself, must go through AIRPAC. In some cases (back seat rides for SOY of 122 and 125, as an example) AIRPAC has released that authority to the COs. Chapters 3 and 8 of NATOPS will give you more specific answers.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Would it be the same for my dad whos a retired 0-6 pilot, considering he would have been out for a few years by the time I might get the opportunity? Or is it easier for a prior Naval Aviatior?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't get too optimistic. It is extremely hard to get anyone up in an aircraft legally who is not a VIP or press. Even if it is possible to do it, few CO's will put their butts, or valuable flight hours, on the line to give someone's dad a ride. There's a huge downside and zero upside on the bargain.

Think "ride in a simulator." That's easy to set up.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
XMID, I think it will be next to impossible to get your dad a ride as a retired guy.

Similar thing happened about 2 months ago; a retired two star, nice guy, wanted to fly at the same time as his about to be newly minted MIDN son. AIRPAC said no.

Retired guys carry no weight...unless they happen to be a VIP or a DoD guy whose job is fairly significant. As an example of the former, Wille Driscoll rode with us a few years ago at NSAWC.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the response guys. I don't really care too much, I was just wondering. Hes had his fun anyway, its time for mine.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A lot of times things get sticky when trying to fly two family members on the same aircraft. If the aircraft goes down, it's twice the pain for the family. I seen two different cases of this. One of them was in the fleet, during a Medevac w/ two brothers, both active duty and one being a pilot and the other a doc. Since two birds were going, they decided to have the pilot fly a different bird than the one the brother was in.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The only reason I was able to get my Dad on as a retired guy is that P-3s are able (used to be able?) to fly space A passengers on non-tactical transit flights. As a retired guy, my Dad was eligible for space A benefits. The squadron CO policy was that space A approval was a Mission Commander call - so I approved him! The only criteria was that we had to follow all the space A rules - i.e. list the flight at base ops then follow space A categories in our approvals (first come first serve, active duty before retired, etc.).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't mean to be calling you out, HAL, just putting more info out there. I'm guessing things were a little more 'lax back then too. As someone said earlier, it's all about the man wanting to put his butt on the line, nowadays.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You weren't calling me out, I was just explaining before someone asked how I did it.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wow, p-3s did space A, I would think there was too much secret squirel stuff for that

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not if the gear isn't turned on. In both my squadrons, we used to list all our cross countries at base ops for space A. Very rarely did we get takers other than during my DH tour when I was deployed to Puerto Rico and we had a Panama det. We had a lot of Air Force guys ride us from Howard to Possey Roads and back for leave/liberty.

In fact, I used space A as a weapon against this one Air Force dickhead E-8 that worked a Howard base ops. He used to claim that our refueling with the APU on was hot refueling and would cause us massive delays while sent fire trucks out to watch. He gave us crap on many other things too that eventually caused us to go to 5 hour preflights instead of the 3 hours we were using for the anti-drug missions. I was transiting from Roosey back to Howard and he shows up for a ride as he did about every other week. I told him no. He tried to quote Air Force space A regulations to me and I told him I was in the Navy. I also told him I'd have the Ops O change the 2 or 3 weekly transit flights to enroute tactical trainers so there would be no space A if he kept acting like a dickhead at Howard. I sent him to our Maintenance Master Chief for a lesson in P-3 refueling and told him if that if he promised to quit being a dick, we'd take him back to Panama. I also told him if he broke his promise, he could expect no more P-3 space A flights for at least the next 4 months while we were deployed, that we would ensure the powers at Howard learned why, and that we would ensure the P-3 squadron that replaced us knew the story. He relented, got the ride and life was better with the 3 hour preflights returning.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I rode space A back in the day with my dad on P-3's. I have pictures of me sitting on my dad's lap "flying" a P-3 on our way to Iceland. I got to go quite a few times when they were just transiting somewhere. I wonder if I could put that in my log book...:D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dunno about other squadrons, or what the Fleet's doing now, but P-3 Space-A was a non-issue when I was in Hawaii. We didn't discuss it or offer it. I saw it happen once, and again, this was a former (WWII) squadron Aircrew guy. Skipper's discretion.