• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-22 driver evaluates the mighty phantom

jmcquate

Contributor
Well, to be fair, a lot of those TMS's have been completely overhauled and updated several times, to include new base airframes.
To be fair to the mighty "Double Ugly", the jet that Capt. Skywalker was flying in was a 40+ year old airframe that's currently being used a target drone.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Exactly. This is the thread where the old timers lament "kids these days" while reveling in auto-erotic, self-aggrandizing orgies of nostalgia, reminding us unwashed masses "how hard they had it." Yeah, you guys had it hard. Progress is a real sonofabitch. :eek:

Brett

You betchyurass, fingerling!
Someday a robot will steal your job too.
May you live long enough to bitch about it.;)

BTW, we did have smart bombs is Vietnam... and smarter pilots.

I have flown several aircraft, including the F/A-18, F-14, A-4, P-3C, CH-53, Stoofs, and a number of other good cats and dogs, not to mention state of the art airliners. Nevertheless the venerable Fox-Four will always be my favorite. It still is in service in several countries.

Phantoms Phorever! Yeeeeehaaaaw!

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re:' Nevertheless the venerable Fox-Four will always be my favorite."
concur, catman.
anybody know if robin olds was the only f-4 guy to have gotten kills in ww2 (p-38/p-51) as well as vietnam?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You betchyurass, fingerling!
Someday a robot will steal your job too.
Not a chance, shipmate. My platform will be around long after I've retired. :)

airplanes-boeing-ea-18g-growler-backgrounds-wallpapers.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Make no mistake about, those future Aviators who have yet to be conceived will be flying the same, tired BuNos we strap into today.

While I was in the RAG, I diverted to Yuma with smoke in the cockpit flying the jet ADM Fox bagged a MIG-21 in in '91. Good proof of your statement (though I was alive and in grade school when GW1 kicked off)

navyao

Hmm...Imagine Robin Olds reading this, he'd crawl into this O's ass and tear him a new one!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a chance, shipmate. My platform will be around long after I've retired. :)

airplanes-boeing-ea-18g-growler-backgrounds-wallpapers.jpg
Perhaps. But your absolutely beautiful pixels can never replace my wonderful enjoyment of personally wearing my beloved Phantom II into harm's way... and together, being able to RTB.

KBayDog

While I was in the RAG, I diverted to Yuma with smoke in the cockpit flying the jet ADM Fox bagged a MIG-21 in in '91. Good proof of your statement (though I was alive and in grade school when GW1 kicked off)

Your jet probably still had that "new jet" smell when you diverted.

Check this one out:

I had an instrument check in 154011 in the summer of 2007. Here she is off of New Orleans (that's the LPH-type, not the new-fangled LPD...) in 1977:

cavanaugh2.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps. But your absolutely beautiful pixels can never replace my wonderful enjoyment of personally wearing my beloved Phantom II into harm's way... and together, being able to RTB.

I hear ya, but these days, pixels is all you have. :( Such is the nature of things.

Brett

Fallonflyr

pilot
Hmm...Imagine Robin Olds reading this, he'd crawl into this O's ass and tear him a new one!

I think the General had a sense of humor and would have got the respectful ribbing.....He also would have drank the author under the table old-school style.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
To reinforce your observation, at the same time now-ADM Fox was bagging his MIG, we had a couple of A-4E's and A-4F's that were still doing a marvelous job as adversary platforms after having served with squadrons during the Viet Nam era. One of them had even been shot up pretty good and been re-worked.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
To reinforce your observation, at the same time now-ADM Fox was bagging his MIG, we had a couple of A-4E's and A-4F's that were still doing a marvelous job as adversary platforms after having served with squadrons during the Viet Nam era. One of them had even been shot up pretty good and been re-worked.

Two of the TA-4' we had in VT-86 when I went through in 87 had (we were told) been single seaters with combat time that had been rebuilt as TA-'s. I should dig out the buns and check.