• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-22 driver evaluates the mighty phantom

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
re:' Nevertheless the venerable Fox-Four will always be my favorite."
concur, catman.
anybody know if robin olds was the only f-4 guy to have gotten kills in ww2 (p-38/p-51) as well as vietnam?

He was the only one do to that. Nobody who scored a kill in the Korean War went on to score one in Vietnam though quite a few Mig-15 killers and a few Korean War aces flew in Vietnam. A few Korean War aces were shot down, like9 kill ace James Low, shot down in 1967 but accepted an early release, which I heard pissed folks off. Another Korean War ace was shot down by a Mig in Vietnam, can't remember who though....my have been Robby Risner though his shoot down is listed at a AAA.

jmcquate

Contributor
The Herc has been flying for 57 years in the Marine Corps inventory with no end in sight!
Sometimes longevity of an airframe type is because of it being a great design......if it aint broke , don't fix it. That goes for the Phrog, Huey, 53, Cobra, Buff, and the Herc. Technology is great. The first time I saw a 22 demo, I was amazed. But some airframes (with mods) perform thier missions as good or better than anything new can.

phrogpilot73

nope airframe is virtually unchanged, engines and avionics are different.
Virtually unchanged? What does the data plate on your aircraft say? The data plate on mine have CH-46A with an 'E' stamped over that letter, and a date of delivery in the '60s. Reading up on the KC-130J, the airframe shares about half of preceding models - but that it's essentially a new aircraft. Are they the EXACT same airframes from the '60s? Are the BUNOS the same? Near as I can tell, first flight was in '96, first delivery started in '02 and the aircraft is STILL IN PRODUCTION. Sorry dude, you've got a new aircraft... Also - how do you figure 57 years? First flight of the Herc was in '54, and near as I can tell every VMGR squadron took delivery of KC-130s between late '61 and early '62 (with the exception of the reserves who took delivery in '75)...

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i'm guessing the two longest continuously running production lines would be the c-130 and the e-2

MasterBates

Most of the Hummers I flew were 90's builds with 162xxx or higher BUNOs.

What the hummer did have, however was a lot if recycled parts. I flew a brand new E-2C with less than 100 hours on it, and a lot of actuators and panels in it were reworked ones from old retired airframes.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

81montedriver

pilot
Virtually unchanged? What does the data plate on your aircraft say? The data plate on mine have CH-46A with an 'E' stamped over that letter, and a date of delivery in the '60s. Reading up on the KC-130J, the airframe shares about half of preceding models - but that it's essentially a new aircraft. Are they the EXACT same airframes from the '60s? Are the BUNOS the same? Near as I can tell, first flight was in '96, first delivery started in '02 and the aircraft is STILL IN PRODUCTION. Sorry dude, you've got a new aircraft... Also - how do you figure 57 years? First flight of the Herc was in '54, and near as I can tell every VMGR squadron took delivery of KC-130s between late '61 and early '62 (with the exception of the reserves who took delivery in '75)...

Just because my aircraft is still in production and we fly relatively new Hercs doesn't negate the fact that the USMC has been flying them which you are correct, since 1962. That would make 50 years vice 57.

Pretty sure the clock doesn't restart for Marine Hercs just because we now fly the J and not the F/R/T. It's still a C-130 and it's still been in our inventory since 1962.

phrogpilot73

Here's my point:

Marines from Company I, 3rd Battalion, 26th Marines inserted in the Elephant Valley, Vietnam
showimage1.php

Please note, the BUNO is 154013. I flew 154014 just a couple of weeks ago... That's my point. Yes, Hercs have been flying for a while. But there's a difference between flying an aircraft that is fresh from the factory, and one that just has a new paint job.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re: "What the hummer did have, however was a lot if recycled parts. I flew a brand new E-2C with less than 100 hours on it, and a lot of actuators and panels in it were reworked ones from old retired airframes."

that's pretty much the same with most lines . many items are government furnished equipment (GFE) as opposed to CFE, (company furnished equipment),
not bought by the contractor. but provided by the government and directed to be installed.
CFE means higher profits but GFE means less liability for the builder.

mostly stuff like engines and electronics.
in the case of the f-14, the (POS) tf-30 engines were GFE, which limited grumman's liability.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Here's my point:

Marines from Company I, 3rd Battalion, 26th Marines inserted in the Elephant Valley, Vietnam
showimage1.php

Please note, the BUNO is 154013. I flew 154014 just a couple of weeks ago... That's my point. Yes, Hercs have been flying for a while. But there's a difference between flying an aircraft that is fresh from the factory, and one that just has a new paint job.

i logged some quality bush time in elephant valley (top of the chart) with the 1st marines in 1970.
3151181039_9ba4d0338e_z.jpg

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Funny you should mention that, the picture I posted is from 1970 ;)
i think the 26th marines would have been out of there by july of '70. i was a FAC w/1st marines from 1 aug through 30 november. i did call in a medevac (mine) in oct, so there is a slight chance it was your bird.
:)