• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-8 Ejection

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was e-mailed this story and pictures. Interesting to say the least.

This occurred on the aircraft carrier, FDR south of the Dominican Republic.The aircraft was an F8U-1 assigned to VF-11, and piloted by Ltjg. Terry Kryway.

Check these sequences, with a landing speed of about 125Kts (140MPH) from touch down to ejection is about 3 seconds, traveling at over 200 ft/sec. All the pilot had to do in this 3 seconds was see the fire, realize he had flamed out (no power), let go of the controls and reach for the face curtain and pull it 18" to fire the seat. No telling what he did in his spare time.

Ripper Jim Roberts: I recall it clearly, having flown that same day. The state of the sea was really crappy, and when Terry made his landing, I was in the ready room watching his landing on the PLAT. It could have happened to any of us flying the Crusader aboard the Roosevelt that day. The deck was moving all over the place, and with only a 12 foot hook-to-ramp clearance, there was NO room for error coming aboard. Thus, but for the grace of God, any of us could have taken the same ride. ........ I think it should also be pointed out that Terry was and is an outstanding pilot. He was a member of the flight demo team, and that single event should not detract from our view of his piloting ability.

The aircraft hit hard on the stbd main mount and broke off the wheel. The wheel bounced up into the wheel well and ruptured the main fuel line, which is the cloud of fuel you see in the first picture. Take a look.

f818zh.png

The scraping of the bare main strut pulled the nose to the right, imposing an asymnmetrical load on the tailhook, ripping it out (movies from the starboard quarter showed this). The fuel caught fire, and the rest is as you see it.

f820di.png

f835np.png

f846qv.png

f858qu.png

The movies showed a 5-foot diameter vapor donut for an instant just in front of the intake at the moment the engine flamed out. Terry cobbed the throttle and felt nothing so he "read the instructions"* as the nose passed over the end of the angle.

"Reading the instructions" is an euphemism for pulling the face curtain to fire the ejection seat There are no instructions printed there, but if there were, one could read them.... if you read really fast.

You can see him reaching for the curtain.

f867xb.png

f805in.png

f880ty.png

f894nc.png

Look Ma, no chute! We didn't have 0/0 (Zero altitude, Zero speed) ejection seats in those days and his chute did not have time to fully deploy. He got a small abrasion on his neck from his harness -- and was wet, but that was all. Whew.

onedge

pilot
Whoa. You really do need some serious testicular fortitude to do this stuff for a living. Maybe a dash of training here and there as well. Carrier quals is the last thing you do before winging, yes?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
onedge said:
Carrier quals is the last thing you do before winging, yes?

Depends on the boat schedule. It's usually either ACM, CQ, or multi-plane ONAV.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That reminds me of an article I read a while back in Air & Space about the F-8. It was about the last annual gathering of Crusader pilots (when the a/c was being retired) and at one point during the ceremony the MC started a roll call.....if I remember right it went something like this:
(with everyone standing)
please sit down if you have less than 500 hrs in the F-8 (a few JO's sit)
please sit down if you have less than 1000 hrs " " (a larger group of folks sit down)
please sit down if you have less than 1500 hrs " " (about half the room is sitting)
please sit down if you have less than 2000 hrs " " (most sit with the exception of a few real "salty" types)
now, please sit down if you have ejected only once (nobody sits)
please be seated if you have ejected only twice (a surprising few are still standing)

I'll have to dig up the article.....it was pretty interesting. My civilian flight doc is an old F-8 pilot, and from everything that I could tell from him it was a handful to fly......but of course "the greatest sex machine ever made" as well.....I'm sure A4's or Catmando have some good stories aout this fine piece of machinery

T

TXHusker05

MasterBates said:
Fireball in mirror = BAD!

Right call, must have hurt like a sumofabutch when he hit though.

Wow, I would bet that it hurt like hell when he came down. But then again, not near as much as it would have hurt if he was still inside. That is a lesson for everyone, when all you see is fire in the rearview and your plane starts doing its own thing... it is time to take your leave.

When I first saw the ejection picture I thought it would have been nice for him to land on the deck, but if the chute didn't open all the way... I am not sure the deck is where he would want to land. Although from that height, I don't know if the water was that comfy either.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
onedge said:
Whoa. You really do need some serious testicular fortitude to do this stuff for a living. Maybe a dash of training here and there as well. Carrier quals is the last thing you do before winging, yes?

If you're E2/C2 it usually is.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ArmyNavyGuy said:
What do E2/C2 guys do on a soft/cold shot? Or do they have it easier than jets do when that happens?

We fly our procedures and hope to pull it off. You've got the rest of the flight to get it right. :D

Ok, seriously, we really hawk our S.E. performance and brief exactly what we would do in that scenario. Ground effect over the water and some good old fashioned torque will help you fly and accelerate to a S.E. climb speed. I guess the key is how fast are you going when you go off the front end. Our stall speeds can be pretty low but Vmca will be the killer. we've got some big ass wings that can help out, but it will take some hard work for a pilot to pull it off on a hot/heavy day. You MUST account for enviromental factors in you aircraft loading to address just that scenario. Emergency Jettisioning is not an option so you have to be able to fly S.E. with what you've got.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Drop the ramp and start shoving parts, cargo, people, out the back.

yeah, the pax don't seem to like that option much. Same reason we don't fly with chutes except on an FCF, we are all in it together until the end. Would you want to be a pax when I go running for the ramp yelling "I've done all I can, let me know how it turns out!" :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
....I thought it would have been nice for him to land on the deck, but if the chute didn't open all the way... I am not sure the deck is where he would want to land......
Then be sure ... it's not.

NavyLonghorn

ArmyNavyGuy said:
What do E2/C2 guys do on a soft/cold shot? Or do they have it easier than jets do when that happens?

My father lost an engine in 1980 on a cat shot. Id like to thank the designers of autofeather for my life (seeing as I wasnt concieved yet.) He said, at the time, they were so scared they just laughed about it and put in full rudder. Looking to your left and seeing a prop at parade rest is apparently not a warm fuzzie.

Now the question is, since I am now flying with the same engine, does that autofeather go towards my luck quantity aswell?

I hope not.

MasterBates

What are these parachutes. And where do I get one?

The only time I have worn a chute in a helo was when I flew a Russki Helix last summer.