• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-8 Ejection

Nose

pilot
October 1993 --- the NAVCAD program was disestablished for the second and final (?) time.

That was actually the THIRD time. We had NAVCADS in WWII, Viet Nam era, and 1980's. (1980's resurrection was to build Reagan's 600 ship Navy.)

Flugelman

Contributor
That was actually the THIRD time. We had NAVCADS in WWII, Viet Nam era, and 1980's. (1980's resurrection was to build Reagan's 600 ship Navy.)

Yep, my stepdad was a NAVCAD during the Korean War. Primary in SNJ (T-6), advanced in F8F Bearcats at Cabiness in Corpus. Just can't imagine putting a low time STUD in that beast, but that's what they did back then.

He tells an amusing story about losing his new helmet over the side when he pulled the goggles up and out into the windstream. The Navy was in the process of converting over from the old leather helmets and they were pretty pissed at him, cancelled his weekend liberty and made him walk the farmer's field he was over when he lost it. He never found it.

He went on to carqual and flew many different aircraft with a FASRON at Kisararzu, Japan during the Korean conflict.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....He tells an amusing story about losing his new helmet over the side when he pulled the goggles up and out into the windstream. ....
That's funny .... I was in the RR when one of our guys came back to the field in the A-6 and had a main gear problem .... the Safety Nazi told him to open the canopy and take a look to see if the gear "appeared down and locked" ... you could open the A-6 canopy and fly around with it open ... that's what we did when riggin' ships, just to mess with the bridge crew.

Only problem was he obediently stuck his head out to get a better look-see and nearly clotheslined himself with the chinstrap !!! :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So when was #2 then ... ??? The program ran continuously until they dropped it just before I became eligible, or I probably would have taken it and walked away from my NROTC full ride scholarship -- I'd had enough -- and started it up again during Regan/Lehman ...

Nose

pilot
So when was #2 then ... ??? They dropped it just before I became eligible, or I probably would have taken it and walked away from my NROTC full ride scholarship -- I'd had enough -- and started it up again during Regan/Lehman ...

1. After WWII
2. After Viet Nam
3. 1993

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. After WWII
2. After Viet Nam
3. 1993
Ummmm ..... I think it went continuously between WW2 and Vietnam ... 'course I could be wrong (ouch! that hurts just to say) ... we ARE talkin' NAVCAD and NOT AOCs or one of the many "V" programs, yeas (??) .... NAVCAD wherein you came in after 2 or more years @ accredited college courses and had some pay longevity from day one.

And it ended before the Viet war was over, otherwise I would have become one of their poster children, like I said.

In any case, it WAS 'da best program out there if you wanted to FLY NAVY, lack of a college degree notwithstanding ...