• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

fed response to Katrina faster than usual

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jack Kelly, Pittsburg Post-Gazette

Sunday, September 11, 2005

It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

For instance, it took five days for National Guard troops to arrive in strength on the scene in Homestead, Fla. after Hurricane Andrew hit in 2002. But after Katrina, there was a significant National Guard presence in the afflicted region in three.

Journalists who are long on opinions and short on knowledge have no idea what is involved in moving hundreds of tons of relief supplies into an area the size of England in which power lines are down, telecommunications are out, no gasoline is available, bridges are damaged, roads and airports are covered with debris, and apparently have little interest in finding out.

So they libel as a "national disgrace" the most monumental and successful disaster relief operation in world history.

I write this column a week and a day after the main levee protecting New Orleans breached. In the course of that week:

More than 32,000 people have been rescued, many plucked from rooftops by Coast Guard helicopters.

The Army Corps of Engineers has all but repaired the breaches and begun pumping water out of New Orleans.

Shelter, food and medical care have been provided to more than 180,000 refugees.

Journalists complain that it took a whole week to do this. A former Air Force logistics officer had some words of advice for us in the Fourth Estate on his blog, Moltenthought:

"We do not yet have teleporter or replicator technology like you saw on 'Star Trek' in college between hookah hits and waiting to pick up your worthless communications degree while the grown-ups actually engaged in the recovery effort were studying engineering.

"The United States military can wipe out the Taliban and the Iraqi Republican Guard far more swiftly than they can bring 3 million Swanson dinners to an underwater city through an area the size of Great Britain which has no power, no working ports or airports, and a devastated and impassable road network.

"You cannot speed recovery and relief efforts up by prepositioning assets (in the affected areas) since the assets are endangered by the very storm which destroyed the region.

"No amount of yelling, crying and mustering of moral indignation will change any of the facts above."

"You cannot just snap your fingers and make the military appear somewhere," van Steenwyk said.

Guardsmen need to receive mobilization orders; report to their armories; draw equipment; receive orders and convoy to the disaster area. Guardsmen driving down from Pennsylvania or Navy ships sailing from Norfolk can't be on the scene immediately.

Relief efforts must be planned. Other than prepositioning supplies near the area likely to be afflicted (which was done quite efficiently), this cannot be done until the hurricane has struck and a damage assessment can be made. There must be a route reconnaissance to determine if roads are open, and bridges along the way can bear the weight of heavily laden trucks.

And federal troops and Guardsmen from other states cannot be sent to a disaster area until their presence has been requested by the governors of the afflicted states.

Exhibit A on the bill of indictment of federal sluggishness is that it took four days before most people were evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.

A better question -- which few journalists ask -- is why weren't the roughly 2,000 municipal and school buses in New Orleans utilized to take people out of the city before Katrina struck?

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
ah, yes. we've said all of this on this site. it's about time the media picked up on it. :)

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
This is the best public rebuttal to all the criticism I've heard so far. Now if somebody could just quash the race issue, we'll be that much better off.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course if anyone gave it a moments thought all the above would have seemed obvious. The problem is that so many were more interested in blaming the feds then getting the job done first. I still can't believe all the top news anchors and commentators calling the fed's response CRIMINAL and negligent and a disgrace just a couple days after the storm. So much for fact finding, fact checking and professional dispassionate observation and reporting. Oh, and no network was spared they rightousness. Fox was aweful too. Now, someone want to tell me where the 10,000 bodies are? Was that claim and widely reported estimate irresponsible or what? I submit the only organization, government, or media, that was cool in the crisis and delt with the facts as they knew them with quiet professionalism were the feds ( from the Corps of Engineers to yes, FEMA) and perhaps the Red Cross.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
the media's getting it wrong re: the Red Cross, too. don't worry.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
wink said:
A better question -- which few journalists ask -- is why weren't the roughly 2,000 municipal and school buses in New Orleans utilized to take people out of the city before Katrina struck?
I think plenty of journalists have asked this question. It's just that no politician or official cares to answer it.

The handling of the disaster also includes what is done before the storm hits. While I'm not a big fan of W., I don't think he deserves all the flak he's getting. I think the blame rests far more on local government officials who lacked any semblance of foresight in preparing for the storm. Yeah, yeah, I know hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a city that relies on levees and pumps to stay dry under normal weather conditions will require precautions far greater than any other American city.

The ounce of preparation that should have been done could have saved tons of money, lives, and resources that had to be used after the fact. The actual rescue personnel (like those mentioned in this editorial) have done an exceptional job, and I don't think most people are doubting that. The problem has been with the overall government management of the situation before and after the storm. Once the heads were removed from the as$es, execution was (and is) fine.

Just like hard times have brought out the best and worst in local residents, the same is the case for politicians. Unfortunately it has been the "worst" that's shown up the most in them.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
handjive said:
I think plenty of journalists have asked this question. It's just that no politician or official cares to answer it.

You are right. They are beginning to ask tough questions now. I am beginning to think they feel they have to make up for all their unprofessional hysteria over the last week or so.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
wink said:
they feel they have to make up for all their unprofessional hysteria over the last week or so.
There's not enough time left in the millennium for the media to make up for its years of unprofessional hysteria.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
And yet Pres. Bush still concedes to the "inadquate response" propaganda in his cowardly response to the hysteria and hyperbole. I am a Republican, and I voted for GW, but his acquiescence and unwillingness to stand up for himself in public make me sick. He has become a puppet of a softening (and dare I say cowardly?) GOP. His acquiescent concessions in this situation are living proof.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Nfo2b, you might want to rethink about joining the armed forces if you feel so strongly against the office of the president.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm happy to read a critique on the Kelly piece. Keep in mind that Media Matters is a left leaning Bush bashing organization. Still good points were made. Unfortunately even the media watch dog ignores or twists facts.

-Yes there was a ship prepositioned, and some argue more should have been. Media Matters claims it took too long for the ship to get "guidance" from FEMA so it stood off the coast. Maybe FEMA needed to find safe place for the ship in a port that was destroyed. I don't know what guidence was lacking and maybe there was a good reason for it.

-Response times are difficult to compare between other hurricanes. Because of the lack of flood waters it was much easier for FEMA to get to victims after Andrew and others. Although devastating, Andrew's swath was much smaller so FEMA teams had fewer miles of debris clogged roads to travel.

-James Witt's claim that he had a plan for getting water pumped out of the city almost immediately does not take into account that the levees had to be repaired first. That took a couple days. Water started to be pumped out immediately after the levees were fixed.

-So there weren't 2000 buses. I found that hard to swallow too. Still there is no explaination for why the several hundred available were not used as the N.O. plan calls for. The very claim by Media Matters that it would take 2000 buses to evacuated the city is in defense of the feds. They had to find over 1000 buses and drivers in a region destroyed by the storm and then clear the roads to get them to N.O. Would have been much easier for local officials to have used the buses they had before the storm then evacuate them for further use after the storm.

-If I am going to slam someone for a "delay" in DC I want to know how long this delay was. Delay or not, did the NG troops arrive in a reasonable time? Was Blanco aware that all requests for the deployment of Guard troops from one state to another requires some approval of DC and she had to expect a turn around delay? If so, then why not request earlier?

I can not completely defend FEMA. It is obvious that the blame game is all political. It is too soon to draw final conclusions on the peformance of anyone. Many mistakes were made. It would simply be refreshing if the DEMs could find a single little failure in the actions of the local democratic officials.