• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fire Suppression Crashes

jmcquate

Contributor
Add the old aircraft the fire fighting units use (there was a unit using TBMs a few years back, maybe still are), It's a sporty profession.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[wrote this earlier but forgot to post]

I'm guessing firebomber crashes are more than coincidence and are well beyond the law of averages. There aren't all that many , they just don't fly that often, but they do crash a lot. Why?

I'm thinking very old and well used aircraft with many cycles and lots of originally unintended stresses put on them, combined with dangerous flying close to the ground and in heavy fire-bred turbulence. Fatigue - not pilot but airframe.

I know there was a lot of unpublished controversy after that C-130 crash that groundpounder posted, but I never heard the final determination.

Fortunately they have some great pilots who are willing to take on the risk, saving lots of homes if not lives. But although it looks like great fun flying and serving a great purpose, I would not want to do it.
You'd be surprised at how many sorties these guys generate in a single day during the heat of the season. Sure, it's not like the gulf during OIF, but you catch my drift. I grew up watching these guys operate every summer out of KMFR and KLMT. Their turn-around on deck is about 10 minutes, then they're off again, all day long.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......I'm guessing firebomber crashes are more than coincidence and are well beyond the law of averages. There aren't all that many , they just don't fly that often, but they do crash a lot. Why?

I'm thinking very old and well used aircraft with many cycles and lots of originally unintended stresses put on them, combined with dangerous flying close to the ground and in heavy fire-bred turbulence. Fatigue - not pilot but airframe.

I know there was a lot of unpublished controversy after that C-130 crash that groundpounder posted, but I never heard.

They fly planes that were flown hard by the military then pulled out of the boneyard then flown harder in some of the toughest conditions what else would we expect? They were flying Privateers until 2002!! They belonged in museums or on the warbird circuit, not fighting fires.

Here is the Wikipedia page with the two major accidents in 2002, the aftereffects of which are felt today by the much reduced aerial tanker fleet. Kind of sad that we can't invest in new planes to put into the fight.

The only way I'd fly with 'em is if they'd let me fly the OV-10. They have those, right?

CALFIRE has those, owned and operated by the State of California with a contract pilot and a firefighter observer to control the 'attack'. They also have S-2Ts flown by contract pilots including 'Hoser' Satrapa as of 2008. All that courtesy this thread! ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They fly planes that were flown hard by the military then pulled out of the boneyard then flown harder in some of the toughest conditions what else would we expect? They were flying Privateers until 2002!! They belonged in museums or on the warbird circuit, not fighting fires.

Here is the Wikipedia page with the two major accidents in 2002, the aftereffects of which are felt today by the much reduced aerial tanker fleet. Kind of sad that we can't invest in new planes to put into the fight.

CALFIRE has those, owned and operated by the State of California with a contract pilot and a firefighter observer to control the 'attack'. They also have S-2Ts flown by contract pilots including 'Hoser' Satrapa as of 2008. All that courtesy this thread! ;)
I watched old P-3s drop on fires years before I flew in one. I suspect that a lot of the P-3s that the Navy gets rid of will end up in this venue eventually.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I remember seeing the video clip of the 2002 crash when it happened. Very hard to watch (just as bad as aft CG out of limits). Not only is it rough flying, they're very close to the ground just skimming the ridges a lot of the times.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No room for error...
... or do they take excessive chances?

firebomber1.jpg

Malo83

Keep the Faith
I'm sure they've been generating plenty of sorties this season thus far. Law of averages & coincidence - it's bound to happen.

From the June 3 Neptune mishap. Pretty unsettling pic:
242825301_5825e40b6f.jpg
This pic is PB4Y Privateer Tanker 123

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd be surprised at how many sorties these guys generate in a single day during the heat of the season. Sure, it's not like the gulf during OIF, but you catch my drift. I grew up watching these guys operate every summer out of KMFR and KLMT. Their turn-around on deck is about 10 minutes, then they're off again, all day long.
Yes, but do they fly much in spring, winter, or late fall? Or every day in the summer? Average it out....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but do they fly much in spring, winter, or late fall? Or every day in the summer? Average it out....
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's all concentrated into a few months, so it's statistically more likely to happen during the season. I think we're talking about different things here.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That video was very "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". The comments paint a pretty scathing picture of industry practices that seems hard to deny in light of their flight hour/class A ratio...
Lots of hate and discontent in that message section, although I'm not sure how much credence I'd give to some of the crusaders on there, especially those who claim to old some secret knowledges. I'd be curious as to the actual mishap/sortie rate by airframe for some of these aircraft. I also wonder how the contractor fleets compare to state owned ones like CAL FIRE.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Here's an interesting article about Aero Union: http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen.../aero-union-fighting-to-survive.html?page=all

The most important stuff is about halfway down discussing the safety of the aircraft. I'm suprised they didn't do something along the lines of what the Navy has done with the Orion, unless it either costs too much or doesn't allow them to fly the way they need to, which I find hard to believe. Either way, if they can't maintain FAA compliance then they're doomed from the beginning.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting read. Seems far fetched that the Forest Service would somehow get the FAA to falsely claim that the contractor was out of compliance just so the FS could "get out" of its contractual obligations. Sounds like poorly executed media spin control by a contractor who isn't complying with maintenance requirements.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
It think almost everyone's seen this but if you haven't below is the C-130 incident GroundPounder referenced above