• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fire Suppression Crashes

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I had been flying the C-130 for two years when that tanker crash occurred. My wife saw it on the news and asked if that was a C-130 that crashed.
"Nope", I said and changed the channel.

The cause IIRC were stresses in the wing box; our fleet was grounded for a short time, then Lockheed Martin determined that wing boxes needed to be inspected & possibly replaced. Until replacement aircraft had operational restrictions placed on them, e.g., no flying >190kias below 4,000 msl, limit 60 deg AOB turns.

Goodbye penetration descents and breaking over the numbers. The unintended consequence is we don't fly them as hard as we used to, but newer guys are nervous flying over 45 deg AOB because it is rarely done.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_airtanker_crashes#section_1

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The cause IIRC were stresses in the wing box; our fleet was grounded for a short time, then Lockheed Martin determined that wing boxes needed to be inspected & possibly replaced. Until replacement aircraft had operational restrictions placed on them, e.g., no flying >190kias below 4,000 msl, limit 60 deg AOB turns.

Goodbye penetration descents and breaking over the numbers. The unintended consequence is we don't fly them as hard as we used to, but newer guys are nervous flying over 45 deg AOB because it is rarely done.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_airtanker_crashes#section_1

Sounds very similar to my community. No more VFR breaks, and less high AOB stuff since we SLEP'd/HONA'd airplanes.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

I hear ya. The number of times younger guys have told me "that's too dangerous" while older guys have said "hell, we used to do twice that allll that time back in the way back" is kind of ridiculous.