• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Test Model F-35 Delivered!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I thought that the first production models weren't going to be delivered for another year or two. They must be really ahead of schedule.

BRM21o

I heard a rumor that the F-35 was slower than an F-18C and made w/o a gun...any truth to this?

Lonestar155

is good to go
The f-35, im assuming shows some pretty good numbers when it comes thrust and those types of things, but it is going to be hard to try to pick up ladies in that thing.. It is ugly compared to the beloved TOMCAT!!

B

Blutonski816

A4s will argue that one engine (while less comorting than two) isn't the end of the world...
154183a.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
hmmm....how would it be the first "test airplane" if they have already flown all 3 variants? Could this be the first aircraft being dedicated to operational testing (maybe thats what was meant by the other post)? If so, won't the production aircraft be right behind them? I know there are some folks here who have been in VX squadrons....how does this all work?

BigRed389

None
BRM21o said:
I heard a rumor that the F-35 was slower than an F-18C and made w/o a gun...any truth to this?

Yup...the Navy carrier version and Marine VTOL versions don't have internal guns, they only have "stealthy" gun pods.

But all hope is not lost, for the Navy side you can cross your fingers and hope that super duper internal laser they're working on pays off. Way more pimped out than any gun IF they ever get it working.

B

Blutonski816

MIDNJAC said:
hmmm....how would it be the first "test airplane" if they have already flown all 3 variants? Could this be the first aircraft being dedicated to operational testing (maybe thats what was meant by the other post)? If so, won't the production aircraft be right behind them? I know there are some folks here who have been in VX squadrons....how does this all work?

The first "Production" aircraft go through OPEVAL so that not only can it be prepared for fleet introduction, but also allows for future RAG instructors to develop up a Training syllabus, tactics, etc...

Anyone else willing to drop in and add anything I've missed or got wrong??

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
That pic also demonstrates something about the A4 that the Tomcat, the Hornet, and the F-35 can't top...it just looks cooler.

When I was on the flight deck of the old USS Yorktown in Charleston, SC, and was standing there right next to my hero's (VADM James Bond Stockdale) A4, I couldn't help but get chills. Such a badass bird...of course, the name stenciled on the side didn't hurt.