• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

HuggyU2

None
Is there any truth to the story that carrier qual in the vt is dead? If that’s the case it would open a lot of doors to address this
I have no clue but my Navy friends say it's dead. But Navy trains other countries too, right? I'm curious to know how that will be affected.

"Open a lot of doors": do you mean the ability to select a non-carrier trainer?

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
Old info. Jets are coming back up.

Some truth. E-2 studs still go hook down in the T-45 until the Hummer gets ILM.
giphy.gif

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Do VT's in T-6 teach AOA approach and landing? I remember doing them to the 'box' at Wolf/Barin back in the day and it was a blast.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Aviation Nerd Trivia: in the T-34, when you did No-Flap landings in FAMs, you were doing an AOA approach/landing. Both would put you at 20 units.
My memory may be off, but I recall that AOA fam flight in the T-34 as a stud to be really underwhelming. Prob bc the IP wasn't that confident, and I was just happy landing that fucker with a flare. 😆

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My memory may be off, but I recall that AOA fam flight in the T-34 as a stud to be really underwhelming. Prob bc the IP wasn't that confident, and I was just happy landing that fucker with a flare. 😆

Yeah, I mis-typed...it's not an AOA landing, just an AOA approach, so the landing is relatively benign. If I recall correctly, the FF AOA approach would but you ~80-85 knots (I'd have to check the FTI), so you don't have a ton of energy left in the flare, but the NF AOA was the same speed, so it was a non-event.

Anytime you would land away from home (RDO, CCX, O/I, etc), you'd always leave the flaps up on landings anyway, so on the IP side NF landings were normal landings and FF landings were the rarer occurrence.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I mis-typed...it's not an AOA landing, just an AOA approach, so the landing is relatively benign. If I recall correctly, the FF AOA approach would but you ~80-85 knots (I'd have to check the FTI), so you don't have a ton of energy left in the flare, but the NF AOA was the same speed, so it was a non-event.

Anytime you would land away from home (RDO, CCX, O/I, etc), you'd always leave the flaps up on landings anyway, so on the IP side NF landings were normal landings and FF landings were the rarer occurrence.
I wasn't trying to counter your post, but just relaying my memory of that X in a T-34 as a stud...it was cursory.

You obviously know way more having been an IP.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I loved doing T-34 AOA’s…it just clicked and was fun.
I remember that flight. I already wanted jets, but that flight was when I started to think I might actually have a shot. Had a lot of fun, and got a 5 on my "precision" landings that day- the only time that happened during Primary that I recall. My question to the instructor was "Why don't we always do it that way?" I don't remember his answer.

Today, I fly AOA-based approaches in virtually every aircraft I fly. It's just easier. If the aircraft requires a Vref computation, I'll obviously do that, but it corresponds to a given AOA, so in a pinch, I'll fly that (e.g. flap failure in a single-pilot business jet). More industry standardization and emphasis on AOA approaches would be good for the pilot community writ large, I think.

Last edited: