• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Rockriver

pilot
Commissioned to RAG in less than a year? I'm on year 3 and I don't even have wings! :eek:
Back in the late 70’s, commissioning to RAG took me just under 14 months. Had I finished the RAG a week earlier, I would have been a fleet ensign for a couple of days. And of course, after winging, I only owed the Navy 4 1/2 years. Times have changed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was a little longer, I Commissioned in 1985, just can't figure out how to EDIT that first post since I munged it up the first time ... Whiteout just not working. Still, one year and 6 months was not unusual back then if you didn't have failures at the boat. There were a handful in both my boat classes ...

Fixed the glitch for you.

Rockriver

pilot
How many cigs did you rip in the cockpit back then? Be honest...😆
At the risk of initiating a threadjack, none. In fact, very few of my peers smoked - maybe two JOs in my squadron. Attitudes towards that nasty habit were changing. Probably half of the LCDRs and above smoked, as did the vast majority of the enlisted troops.

However, during one TransPac, I was on the wing of a crusty, old Vietnam vet (late 30s seemed crusty at the time) and observed him dropping his mask, lighting up, and using the spare lens compartment of his flashlight as an ashtray.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
At the risk of initiating a threadjack, none. In fact, very few of my peers smoked - maybe two JOs in my squadron. Attitudes towards that nasty habit were changing. Probably half of the LCDRs and above smoked, as did the vast majority of the enlisted troops.

However, during one TransPac, I was on the wing of a crusty, old Vietnam vet (late 30s seemed crusty at the time) and observed him dropping his mask, lighting up, and using the spare lens compartment of his flashlight as an ashtray.
Continuing the threadjack...the airframe I flew (CH-53E) had ashtrays for the left and right seat built in...they had long been disabled by the time I flew it, but I still thought it was funny, and a nod to a different time.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Continuing the threadjack...the airframe I flew (CH-53E) had ashtrays for the left and right seat built in...they had long been disabled by the time I flew it, but I still thought it was funny, and a nod to a different time.
So do many TH-57s!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's incredible that this functionality was discussed and engineered into the design of various aircraft. I guess it was before the 3710 declared tobacco products were not authorized.

I only knew one non-Mustang aviator that smoked regularly in both of my squadrons, plenty dipped though to include when flying. 🤢

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I only knew one non-Mustang aviator that smoked regularly in both of my squadrons, plenty dipped though to include when flying. 🤢
Not proud of it, but I dipped on the majority of my flights. Wish I didn't, but I did. It's a bad habit definitely.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I distinctly remember Night Fam/Night Nav in VT-6 - and my IP surprising me by lighting up multiple times. Reservist airline dude I think.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I remember being told that the T-34s had ashtrays at one point. Never saw one though.
The stories of from my dad's era he told me of old guys flying Thuds in Vietnam and smoking while on 100% O2 seemed crazy to me. But they were serious enough that I believe them. I mean, everyone smoked back then.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I remember being told that the T-34s had ashtrays at one point. Never saw one though.
The stories of from my dad's era he told me of old guys flying Thuds in Vietnam and smoking while on 100% O2 seemed crazy to me. But they were serious enough that I believe them. I mean, everyone smoked back then.
Yep, that's how we grew up in the '70's. Second-hand smoke and no seat-belts in the backseat....No chance of head protection while piloting your Huffy bike too.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not proud of it, but I dipped on the majority of my flights. Wish I didn't, but I did. It's a bad habit definitely.

I may have had a spitter that made two deployments with me. And they were deployments in different tours/squadrons, separated by a shore tour. Kinda gross in hindsight. Zyns are much lower key/less gross. Though even that is a bad habit

Side note, it was a pretty well known fact that a certain member of a certain east coast hornet squadron's front office regularly lit off more than just a proverbial "Lucky" in his jet. He's well on his way to being a big CVN CO by now. I imagine the smoking lamp will be lit on that boat

Last edited: