• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Suit Pen Pockets suck for Lefties

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Airborne abort??? For a dropped pen/pencil ??? W/ no secondaries ???
It must be a 'different' Navy these days ... :)

Ain't it the truth. We would never have airborne aborted for a lost pen/pencil. Downed the jet when we got back, yes, but only after we had done contortionist headstands after shutdown trying to find the elusive writing instrument ourselves to no avail. Airborne abort, NO WAY. (I did have to do an actual stuck throttle approach and shut it down at 200' due to a wayward cannon plug in the throttle quadrant once, but that is a different story.)

Another example of a 'different' Navy these days... we would have moved the pen pocket ourselves, or had our significant other, or somebody do it. I ripped off the ridiculous 'peter' pockets on my flight suits and the thigh pockets as well. Never used them, got rid of them. When you are in flight school it is a different story. Out in the fleet, it's your stuff......to a degree. I didn't mess with necessary survival gear, other than add personal items I thought worthy.

Ain't it the truth. We would never have airborne aborted for a lost pen/pencil......
Another example of a 'different' Navy these days...

So it's a measure of bigger sticks...err I mean flight control handle I take it?:icon_wink

Airborne abort? HELL YES! Different jets! Not different Navy! Just ask pilot who punched out in a hi-alt 45 degree bombing run because couldn't pull out of dive do to FOD. A B.S reason to have to eject because someone else's baffoonery.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Airborne abort? HELL YES! Different jets! Not different Navy! Just ask pilot who punched out in a hi-alt 45 degree bombing run because couldn't pull out of dive do to FOD. A B.S reason to have to eject because someone else's baffoonery.

A B.S. reason to eject because of someone else's buffoonery or your own buffoonery? Yes it is a B.S. reason to eject if a previous airedale neglected to retrieve his pen or write up the FOD in the cockpit, after the flight. I'm saying if I lost a pen in the cockpit, while I was flying, I wouldn't have turned around and gone home. I would have finished the mission, wrote down the fight from memory, then either have found the AWOL pen or written a MAF and grounded the A/C. Different jets? Yes and no. Now, more sophisticated, agreed. But FOD is FOD. Different Navy? Hell yes! From what I read anymore, there's a different mindset. As an old squadronmate said a few years ago while reminiscing over a beer, "Ya know, I miss the Navy I joined, but I don't miss the Navy I left."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A B.S. reason to eject because of someone else's buffoonery or your own buffoonery? Yes it is a B.S. reason to eject if a previous airedale neglected to retrieve his pen or write up the FOD in the cockpit, after the flight. I'm saying if I lost a pen in the cockpit, while I was flying, I wouldn't have turned around and gone home. I would have finished the mission, wrote down the fight from memory, then either have found the AWOL pen or written a MAF and grounded the A/C. Different jets? Yes and no. Now, more sophisticated, agreed. But FOD is FOD. Different Navy? Hell yes! From what I read anymore, there's a different mindset. As an old squadronmate said a few years ago while reminiscing over a beer, "Ya know, I miss the Navy I joined, but I don't miss the Navy I left."
+1 ... or a bunch. Textbook answer .... it's 'reality' .... and quite correct.

phrogpilot73

I can't believe this thread is still going. So what have we learned?

1. Securing your writing instrument is critical in the TACAIR community.
2. Securing your writing instrument in non-TACAIR communities depends on the platform and where it can fall.
3. We can rail on for numerous pages about securing/not securing, and how.

Bottom line - you can give advice all you want - but it only applies to your T/M/S. Again, if I drop a pen in the Phrog - it goes one of two places. The chin bubble (and about 3 inches below flight controls) or under my seat (worst case there is it touching the nasty relief tube). Throw in that we might hit 1 1/2 - 2 Gs, and MAYBE 1/2 a G during TERF. I don't secure my pen to my kneeboard. Why? Makes it easier to give a pen to the FCP who left his on his desk. Or to give one to the guy in back who wants to take notes on the newbie crewchief and his just ran out of ink.

So, I'm closing this thread because it's going to go back and forth until the end of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.