• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign Degrees

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
I wouldn't waste any time if I were you.

Waste any time in applying? Or, waste my time by applying? I was under the impression that there were five to six selected a year but I am utterly depressed to learn that it is one to two. Knowing that, I really actually want to pursue an MA in War Studies if not to make my entire package more desireable.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't waste any time if I were you.
Notwithstanding age, the degree would make her more competitive in a hyper competitive program. While only a couple a year are accepted it isn't like winning the lottery. In the past 5 years or so my NRD dircommed two JAGs. I don't know a single lottery winner. :(The War Studies Program at King's College is highly respected. When I was a selres on the NAVEUR staff one of our intel folks was in that program at King's. She had nothing bad to say about it. My son is looking into it. It is a crap shoot. But it would make your app stronger. Stronger then an LLM or SJD, dunno. But it will look good and likely be more interesting then a LLM to pursue (Not sure what a SJD is).

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't JAG open until at least 34?

www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm#21

As to my comments about age, I meant that I would only apply in '09, '10, and '11. I don't want to push off having children any further than 36/38. And I don't want to have any children while on active duty; I am too worried that that would create an undue burden for any other member of JAG Corps.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, I'd probably begin to infuse "u" into random words, end other words with re instead of er, and I'll most likely replace "z" with "s" in a few others. Overall, it will just improve! :D
Plus ... in all correspondence, business cards, and basically anything written -- including your telephone book listing(s) -- you would use your first initial and entire middle name/last name ... how very lawyer-like.:)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Waste any time in applying? Or, waste my time by applying? I was under the impression that there were five to six selected a year but I am utterly depressed to learn that it is one to two. Knowing that, I really actually want to pursue an MA in War Studies if not to make my entire package more desireable.
My point was that you might as well start applying now. Obviously, it depends on what your goals are, but if the Navy is your goal, you might as well apply early and often. If you get in now, great. If you get accepted while in school see if you can defer or make the choice between finishing the master's and joining the Navy.

MasterBates

That is also normal here in Kingsville.

I met a woman my age (29) at the Luau. Ran into her later that week at WalMart. Had a 3 year old child in a stroller. Asked if that was her daughter.

It was her Granddaughter.

(29-3)/2=13

Yes. 13 years ON AVERAGE WHEN THEY GAVE BIRTH..

What the hell is wrong with these people???!

People my age with kids in HS in NOT uncommon here.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
That is also normal here in Kingsville.

I met a woman my age (29) at the Luau. Ran into her later that week at WalMart. Had a 3 year old child in a stroller. Asked if that was her daughter.

It was her Granddaughter.

(29-3)/2=13

Yes. 13 years ON AVERAGE WHEN THEY GAVE BIRTH..

What the hell is wrong with these people???!

People my age with kids in HS in NOT uncommon here.

Maybe she was being sarcastic?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My point was that you might as well start applying now. Obviously, it depends on what your goals are, but if the Navy is your goal, you might as well apply early and often. If you get in now, great. If you get accepted while in school see if you can defer or make the choice between finishing the master's and joining the Navy.
Also, if she could get in now, couldn't she use the GI bill to get her Master's when she gets out? Or would that not work for a UK based school?

phrogpilot73

So my question is - assume you get accepted to King's school AND get selected in '09, are you willing to walk away from King's school to persue your Naval career?

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
So my question is - assume you get accepted to King's school AND get selected in '09, are you willing to walk away from King's school to persue your Naval career?

The MA program is one full year; from September to September. The selection board meets in May. Here is my ignorance of the process, if selected, how soon would I need to report to ODS?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MA program is one full year; from September to September. The selection board meets in May. Here is my ignorance of the process, if selected, how soon would I need to report to ODS?

ODS, is that what they call OIS now? I'm not sure how often the class convene these days. I expect probably once a month . Usually, if in school they are more then happy to set a class for you after your program ends. Your problem is that you would not be available until the next fiscal year. If they wanted you in that fiscal year you could be screwed. Still, they ask your available date on the app. Just put down OCT-NOV and let it fly. You could be one of the first selects for the next fiscal year. :)

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
ODS, is that what they call OIS now? I'm not sure how often the class convene these days. I expect probably once a month . Usually, if in school they are more then happy to set a class for you after your program ends. Your problem is that you would not be available until the next fiscal year. If they wanted you in that fiscal year you could be screwed. Still, they ask your available date on the app. Just put down OCT-NOV and let it fly. You could be one of the first selects for the next fiscal year. :)

I would like that if possible, sir. But, as I'm applying under DA, they would want me in that fiscal year? I guess I wonder since there are only two selectees under DA that they would want them together in class or is that not something they consider?