• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

Can someone explain the sensitivity of the throttle on the actual ASTB? When you push up on the throttle, does the crosshair keep going up until you center the throttle? Or is the position of the crosshair correlated to the position of the throttle (If the throttle is is 75% of the way up so is the crosshair)?

FloridaDad

Can someone explain the sensitivity of the throttle on the actual ASTB? When you push up on the throttle, does the crosshair keep going up until you center the throttle? Or is the position of the crosshair correlated to the position of the throttle (If the throttle is is 75% of the way up so is the crosshair)?
I'd love this information!

enzy24

The former, you'll be constantly fine-tuning the throttle to stay on the target and the degree to which you push the throttle correlates to the speed of your crosshair

The former, you'll be constantly fine-tuning the throttle to stay on the target and the degree to which you push the throttle correlates to the speed of your crosshair

Thanks, so what you're saying is that even when you let go of the throttle, it will still be moving in the direction it's oriented towards (unless completely centered)?

FloridaDad

Question/concern while training with this. This ALWAYS does odd numbers in the right ear and even numbers in the left. In the real test, is that how it is or can it flip? I don't want to get so conditioned that left=even and right=odd that I screw up the test when it's not that way.

FloridaDad

So here's something interesting about this on large screens vs small screens. I'm getting the feeling that your score is determined by pixels away from the target. I've arrived at this conclusion by switching between two screens while doing this. My larger, 28 inch, 1440 resolution gaming monitor; and a smaller, 18 inch, 1050 monitor I have beside it. On the larger monitor I get consistently worse (higher) scores and this isn't just due to large gap between the throttle in my periphery and the stick on the rest of the screen. I tested that theory by focusing only on the throttle and my score was still worse at around 115 vs my average throttle score of around 85 on the smaller monitor when focusing on stick, throttle, and the audio cues. So basically, the higher pixel density and such is making it so that while being physically closer to the target, it's actually scoring worse due to more literal pixels being between them. Keep this in mind if your seeing much higher scores on here and are getting discouraged (like I was). Still keep practicing to bring those scores down obviously, but if you're playing this on a 4k or 1440p monitor your scores are going to be worse and if you're playing on a small 720p laptop they're probably going to be better than the average. So don't feel like you're a total failure :)

bcal

Question/concern while training with this. This ALWAYS does odd numbers in the right ear and even numbers in the left. In the real test, is that how it is or can it flip? I don't want to get so conditioned that left=even and right=odd that I screw up the test when it's not that way.
In the real test it will throw numbers odd & even in both ears and you just have to determine to click or not to click if it’s odd in the correct ear or not. For example, if it’s even number in the right ear don’t do anything but if it’s a odd number as it supposed to be then click. I hope that helps somewhat. Also, for the UAV portion use the YouTube trick and practice on the “ASTB prep” test app in the App Store for that, that’s the most realistic for that section and you do that first

bcal

Taking the ASTB Tomorrow. For the emergency procedures section, did you have to reset the knobs to neutral?
I do not recall resetting them so make sure you pay attention in the beggining when it gives you the directions for each of the knobs prior to the whole test including the uav and tracking section so you know which way to rotate and move the knobs because I don’t remember it giving me a chance to reset it or anything but I could be wrong — also I see your a fellow Virginian, you taking it in cvill?

I do not recall resetting them so make sure you pay attention in the beggining when it gives you the directions for each of the knobs prior to the whole test including the uav and tracking section so you know which way to rotate and move the knobs because I don’t remember it giving me a chance to reset it or anything but I could be wrong — also I see your a fellow Virginian, you taking it in cvill?
Thanks for your response, what's cvill?

Nice! Good luck tomorrow, if you have any more questions feel free to ask
Thanks just one more question. For fire emergency, you need both knobs to be at zero. Is zero for the big knob (E) mean it's twisted to the left and the little knob (I) twisted down/left if that makes sense? Or is the the opposite?