• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Freshman in highschool- wanting to become a fighter pilot

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Just a couple of things for you:

I had PRK a year and a half ago and I'm really liking it. It was a very strange experience having someone basically burn your eyeball into a new shape (I can feel the difference in the shape of my eye through my eyelid). I was also nearly blind (20/400 or something horrific). PM me if you've got some questions about it.

As far as high school goes, just do your best. There are some pretty good books out there that can help you out with learning to study effectively and learn the way you learn best, like What Smart Students Know. If you can get yourself into a good study habit, it will really help you out in college and later in the Navy/AF.

One thing that isn't obvious to a lot of people is how hard jet pilots are expected to study. While I don't have any personal experience with it, I do know that it's not easy, and you're going to have to work really hard to do well.

As far as your commissioning pipeline, it totally depends. Keep your options completely open, and try some different things. The Naval Academy has a summer seminar you can attend between your junior and senior years of high school, which is a week-long program where they show you what the academy is like, and give you the barest hint of what it'd be like to be a plebe (freshman). I attended, and it made me realize I didn't want to go there, which was a pretty valuable experience. I don't know if they have a similar program for the Air Force Academy or not. ROTC really depends on the unit you go to, and it can change while you're there since the staff changes over periodically. It's biggest benefit is that you're going to a regular college but you're still preparing to serve in the military.

Long post, but hopefully this answers a few questions you might still have. PM me if you've got anymore questions; I'm just chilling out with my busted (but healing) leg.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BlaZe said:
I found an article on a website from the AF safety center or something like that that says fighter pilot candidates can be waivered up to a maximum of 20/600 (the worst meridian requiring PRK eye surgery). I am 20/200. Therefor I can get waivered and wear corrective lenses and be a fighter pilot. Also this F18 Naval Pilot instructor said he would personal ask his flight surgeon for the numbers. And what the flight surgeon says it was the rules are.

This is exactly my point. "the worst meridian requiring PRK eye surgery." Something is going to be done to your eye if you don't have 20/20. It may just be glasses, or it may be eye surgery. My point was that you won't be at the controls w/ 20/200 vision, it will be corrected in some form. That's all I'm saying.

As for the 20/600, I would seriously doubt they'd let you fly w/ that and not have surgery. Again, I know that's not YOUR eyesight. Lastly, something to keep in mind... Physical requirements and whether they're waivered change from time to time. So if they have too many applicants, they may not waiver stuff. Also, the requirements that a flight surgeon looks up is for designated aviators, not for applicants. There are a bunch of items (too many to get into) that are considered disqualifying for an applicant, but not for someone who has gone through their physical and started API or flying. The medical people don't consider you designated an aviator of some kind (whether it be an SNA or an actual NA) until after you check in for API have that phyiscal. This is coming from first hand experience.

Now, with all that said... Keep pressing and working towards your goal. It's worth the effort.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
Everyone in high school wants to be a fighter pilot. Can anyone enlighten these young individuals as to when the last aerial "fight" took place? Seems like the days of the "fighter" have come and gone with the end of the cold war. Would it be smashing his dreams if I said it would be better to sign up as an attack pilot or cargo pilot

Nothing wrong with having dreams and goals to work towards...

BlaZe

Banned
CORPSviation said:
rep points for pennst8

snort - is that your plane? Pretty sweet.

Everyone in high school wants to be a fighter pilot. Can anyone enlighten these young individuals as to when the last aerial "fight" took place? Seems like the days of the "fighter" have come and gone with the end of the cold war. Would it be smashing his dreams if I said it would be better to sign up as an attack pilot or cargo pilot

Thats not totally true. I am the only person in a couple hundred of students who wants to be a fighter pilot. I don't even know anyone that even has an interest in aviation other then me and two other kids.

I'm not sure I totally understand you but do you mean that becuase there are so many restrictions to fly under today that its not like the old dog-fighting days in WWII.? I know the philosophy is something like being able to kill the enemy without them even seeing you.

Correct me if im wrong.

Gatordev- nvm the 20/600... I think its more like 20/400.

I should'nt be worried about all the phys requirements right now anyway. Its too much and too overwhelming. I should just focus on doing my best and see how it goes.

Lets hope they even have fighter pilots in 6 years becuase i've heard lots of optomistic talk of remote pilot operators and all that. That would really suck.

BlaZe

Banned
Yeah, thanks all. I wish I would have found this forum sooner becuase I waisted many hours of researching all this stuff an not even getting the info I wanted. Recruiters weren't too helpfull either.

Thanks!

VAmookie

what I'm saying is, the job of "fighter pilot" has mostly come and gone unless we go to war with a superpower, or nation funded by a superpower, as few governements have the capabilites to carry on with an "air war". Think in terms of attack, not fight

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
what I'm saying is, the job of "fighter pilot" has mostly come and gone unless we go to war with a superpower, or nation funded by a superpower, as few governements have the capabilites to carry on with an "air war". Think in terms of attack, not fight
While I agree w/ you in principle that pointy nosed jets haven't seen a whole lot of A/A time recently, apply your paradigm to Iran and I don't think your "few governments" argument stands up.

Brett

VAmookie

You can argue Iran but only because they have had help from outside powers. In the event of a war, i dont imagine they would be able to sustain much of an aircraft fleet for long. And when I say few governments, I mean those that we are likely to go to war with that can stand on their own two feet. Although the middle east has a lot of $$$ going through it from oil production/trading, I would hardly say that they can stand on their own feet without some outside help.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
You can argue Iran but only because they have had help from outside powers. In the event of a war, i dont imagine they would be able to sustain much of an aircraft fleet for long. And when I say few governments, I mean those that we are likely to go to war with that can stand on their own two feet. Although the middle east has a lot of $$$ going through it from oil production/trading, I would hardly say that they can stand on their own feet without some outside help.
True with Iran, but they haven't had any significant help recently. They've been pretty good at finding ingenious ways of keeping their fleet flying and even adapting them with new weapons systems. Check out their F-14 mounted Hawk surface to air missiles, both of which we sold them almost 30 years ago. My argument wasn't that anyone would be able to sustain a counter air campaign against us, only that establishing air superiority won't necessarily be a walk in the park like Afghanistan/OIF. You can bet that any number of countries would launch everything they had if it came to blows, including Syria, North Korea and Iran - none of which has received significant military assistance since the Cold War. All I'm saying is don't cross A/A off the big list of things to do just yet.

Brett

Blaze,

Strive to get your GPA up, if you feel as though you are capable of getting 4.0s then prove it to yourself. Strive to be the best because "fighter pilots" are the best at what they do.

lance

Close

BlaZe said:
(Now for one thing. I am quite confused with all this ROTC, OTS, exc... stuff. Im not even sure what it does. I know I want to get into some sort of these programs while im in highschool. Is there any program that will guarantee a fighter pilot slot?)

BLAZE,

I can't think of any program that can gaurentee that you will fly flighters, but there are several programs out there that will gaurentee you a flight spot before you sign your life away.

The Navy, Airforce, and Marines CURRENTLY have slots available through different programs. You can get a post graduate(COLLEGE) flight spot in both the Navy and the Airforce. The Marines have a Platoon Leadership Class program for aviators that you can begin as a freshman in college, and last but not least [ ok I am not god so there may actually be some other options out there hopefully someone else can fill you in] is the best program of all. THE NAVY'S BDCP. I have to admit I am bias because I am currently in the program, but all in all you can't beat the advantages of the program. It offers In college: Salary, Insurance, Gaurenteed job after graduation and all the other military perks after graduation.
However, In every one of these programs you will have to compete for a Fighter spot, and if you are number 1 in your class and the needs of your branch require a fighter slot to be filled; then you will achieve what you have always dreamed of.

The best thing you can do while in High School is get the grades. If you have the best grades then you have the most options when the time comes for you to choose which road you will take.

P.S. You need to be talking to the Officer recruiters from your District. Not your local recruiters. Local recruiters don't alwasy know about the programs offered for college recruits, and that is exactly what you are interested in. When the time comes.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
. . My argument wasn't that anyone would be able to sustain a counter air campaign against us, only that establishing air superiority won't necessarily be a walk in the park like Afghanistan/OIF. You can bet that any number of countries would launch everything they had if it came to blows, including Syria, North Korea and Iran - none of which has received significant military assistance since the Cold War. All I'm saying is don't cross A/A off the big list of things to do just yet.

Brett

Well said, Brett.

Even a casual student of Air-to-Air warfare might find the below two websites of some interest. The first is a list of the surprisingly many kills the Iranian Air Force had mostly during the Iraq-Iran war. Of significance is both the total number of kills, but also the particular weapons - long and close range - used (if all the data can be believed.)

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml

This second site gives the Air Order of Battle for North Korea. As you correctly say, if it comes to blows, many countries would not hesitate to throw everything they have at you. BVR quickly vanishes and technological superiority is degraded with multiple enemy numbers and tactics over their own turf, and when you find yourself suddenly surrounded by multiple MiG's.

http://www.scramble.nl/kp.htm (Note: Click on the DPRKAF Order of Battle link on the right side of this page.)

vanity

Zoomie
BlaZe said:
Thats not totally true. I am the only person in a couple hundred of students who wants to be a fighter pilot. I don't even know anyone that even has an interest in aviation other then me and two other kids.

Had 7 kids apply to both the Air Force and Naval Academies at my school, aswell with ROTC. When I went to get my nomination from my congressman(which i got), there were about 50 kids I was competing with and the majority of them wanted to be pilots. Its a popular dream/goal and is very competitive. If you think you're going to be the only one trying to achieve this in your area you're in for a surprise. (This also may vary from area to area though)

snort

Banned
QUOTE BlaZe: its not like the old dog-fighting days in WWII.? know the philosophy is something like being able to kill the enemy without them even seeing you.

Yep, in a ideal situation, you'll be directed by digital data link, or voice operator to your A to A target. But, in many situations you'd have to visually ID the bogey which puts you in the WWII scenario. dogfight

@ CORPSviation: Yeah, that's a Piper pic of my Meridian. Thanks.