• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Freshman in highschool- wanting to become a fighter pilot

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Voice Operater??

Brett327 said:
. . My argument wasn't that anyone would be able to sustain a counter air campaign against us, only that establishing air superiority won't necessarily be a walk in the park like Afghanistan/OIF. You can bet that any number of countries would launch everything they had if it came to blows, including Syria, North Korea and Iran - none of which has received significant military assistance since the Cold War. All I'm saying is don't cross A/A off the big list of things to do just yet.

Brett

Catmando said:
Well said, Brett.

Original post by Catmando: Even a casual student of Air-to-Air warfare might find the below two websites of some interest. The first is a list of the surprisingly many kills the Iranian Air Force had mostly during the Iraq-Iran war. Of significance is both the total number of kills, but also the particular weapons - long and close range - used (if all the data can be believed.)

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml

This second site gives the Air Order of Battle for North Korea. As you correctly say, if it comes to blows, many countries would not hesitate to throw everything they have at you. BVR quickly vanishes and technological superiority is degraded with multiple enemy numbers and tactics over their own turf, and when you find yourself suddenly surrounded by multiple MiG's.

http://www.scramble.nl/kp.htm (Note: Click on the DPRKAF Order of Battle link on the right side of this page.)

The US got handed a surprise or two over the skies of North Viet Nam when their pilots took on the best the Air Force and Navy threw at them. The NVPAF was still in its infancy as far as a credible fighter force, but began to seriously attrite and force strike packages to jettison their stores thereby getting a mission kill. If their claims are valid, their have considerably more aces than we do.

Point is, if you start believing you won't be challenged and start ignoring the basic skills, you might get surprised. The USAF in particular had deemphasized ACM training partially in belief that the medium range missiles would forestall a merge and due to effort to lower mishaps in training.

QUOTE BlaZe: its not like the old dog-fighting days in WWII.? know the philosophy is something like being able to kill the enemy without them even seeing you.

Yep, in a ideal situation, you'll be directed by digital data link, or voice operator to your A to A target. But, in many situations you'd have to visually ID the bogey which puts you in the WWII scenario. dogfight

@ CORPSviation: Yeah, that's a Piper pic of my Meridian. Thanks.

@snort: Voice Operator? Not sure the E-2 and/or AWACS controllers would like to be known by that.

SuperFly

pilot
Is there any program that will guarantee a fighter pilot slot?

Take a look at the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY. When I applied my junior year in highschool to USNA and USAFA, I had never even heard of it before. It was at a congressional interview that a representative from Kings Point took me aside when he knew that I really wanted to be a naval aviator. Back then (1997), he said there were close to 10-15 slots available for Naval Aviation every year from Kings Point and only 200 graduate from the Academy every year. Not a sure bet into getting a fighter slot, but a good way to walk into the doors of Naval aviation. USMMA will ive you more options upon graduation than any other institution. If you are accepted into Kings Point, you could apply for flight slots in both the Navy and Air Force and see which one bites. Just a thought............

....and I'm a proud grad from the class of 2001 at USMMA. If you have any questions about it PM me. Fly Navy, Not Air Force!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any program that will guarantee a fighter pilot slot?

In my experience, no. You have to compete on your record and needs of the service in flight school.

However, I have met USAF pilots (form the Guard)who were recruited directly into National Guard units to fill specific slots in that unit so they knew what they would be flying (as long as they met specified standards) before that got to flight school.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In my experience, no. You have to compete on your record and needs of the service in flight school.

However, I have met USAF pilots (form the Guard)who were recruited directly into National Guard units to fill specific slots in that unit so they knew what they would be flying (as long as they met specified standards) before that got to flight school.

And from everything I've heard from buds who went through training w/ them, those "standards" were just to pass and get wings. Sounds like a good deal for the student/new pilot, but not necessarily guaranteeing you get the best skill where you need.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And from everything I've heard from buds who went through training w/ them, those "standards" were just to pass and get wings. Sounds like a good deal for the student/new pilot, but not necessarily guaranteeing you get the best skill where you need.

Some of them are indeed flying clubs, but they do have some really experienced folks that have been there forever. Growing their own is a real perk.