• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-25 O4 Promotion Board

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, why?

You get forced to APPLY orders, which may not be in you home location. And honestly the math on reserve retirement, it’s not that much more. You’d be better off getting more points making up the difference.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You get forced to APPLY orders, which may not be in you home location. And honestly the math on reserve retirement, it’s not that much more. You’d be better off getting more points making up the difference.
Gotcha. I know next to nothing about the reserves, admittedly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As someone trying to get passed over for Reserve O-5, 👊🏻

I feel like any front office that isn't totally incompetent can make sure that happens for you. And I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. The reserves are a blank canvas......paint the happy little cloud that you want to look at, nobody is judging. A reserve command should also, IMO, focus more on advocating for your goals, than it should be focusing on trying to force you into some carbon copy of the active duty mold. None of us came here because that is what we wanted. If you want to make CNAFR and then CNR, yeah, you gotta do those things. But there is a whole lot of real estate to explore if that isn't what you think would be cool.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I feel like any front office that isn't totally incompetent can make sure that happens for you. And I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. The reserves are a blank canvas......paint the happy little cloud that you want to look at, nobody is judging. A reserve command should also, IMO, focus more on advocating for your goals, than it should be focusing on trying to force you into some carbon copy of the active duty mold. None of us came here because that is what we wanted. If you want to make CNAFR and then CNR, yeah, you gotta do those things. But there is a whole lot of real estate to explore if that isn't what you think would be cool.

I had a sit down with my reserve CO and he understands my goals (20 good years as an O-4), and my string of P FITREPs reflect it. I’m a local unit OIC and get the flexibility and pros/cons that come with that, but I think I do a good job with my 12 person pirate ship unit. I’m eating 180 days in PACOM as part of the deal, but I should re-tour with the same unit for another set of 4 year JOAPPLY orders and that will get me to 19ish years at which point I’ll go to the VTU and retire happily. I have three stripes on my civilian uniform and a retirement/insurance at 60 will be fine. No one cares what your commissary privilege card says.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I had a sit down with my reserve CO and he understands my goals (20 good years as an O-4), and my string of P FITREPs reflect it. I’m a local unit OIC and get the flexibility and pros/cons that come with that, but I think I do a good job with my 12 person pirate ship unit. I’m eating 180 days in PACOM as part of the deal, but I should re-tour with the same unit for another set of 4 year JOAPPLY orders and that will get me to 19ish years at which point I’ll go to the VTU and retire happily. I have three stripes on my civilian uniform and a retirement/insurance at 60 will be fine. No one cares what your commissary privilege card says.
Did you have to get 2N1 qual’d to be OIC?

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Did you have to get 2N1 qual’d to be OIC?
It’s not an APPLY billet so no. More like “senior officer” but we shorthand OIC and the UMUIC CO knows who I am. The way mustering/NSIPS works I also have drill approval for the TRUIC, but everything has to be allowed by the UMUIC since they pay the bills (learned that one the hard way). My unit is based in Jax and Whidbey with dets across the country, including my local NRC.

I did part of the 2N1 syllabus before realizing it would make me more attractive to the O5 boards.