• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 Oct. 28, 2019 SNA/NFO Board

jalen22

Can anyone confirm that the depth perception test at MEPS changed to the "easier" book test like OCS? I've searched all on the forum and can't find much except the horror stories of how the AFVT is inaccurate. Since everyone on here went to MEPS can someone provide insight? I've never had vision problems but after reading horror stories and searching the forum I only seem to find how bad the randot test is and no one mentioning it's easy or like a normal eye exam.
I had to go to an Army hospital to retake it. I failed horribly at MEPS but passed with flying colors when I retook it. My recruiter said I'm the second applicant that's happened to and think they're administering the test wrong. It's a really odd test and if it does come back that you failed, try and have it redone at a military hospital by someone that doesn't hate their life lol

Brand0034

I had to go to an Army hospital to retake it. I failed horribly at MEPS but passed with flying colors when I retook it. My recruiter said I'm the second applicant that's happened to and think they're administering the test wrong. It's a really odd test and if it does come back that you failed, try and have it redone at a military hospital by someone that doesn't hate their life lol
Was it the same eye test at the army hospital? Just wondering if it was the examiner that messed it up for you? And if it was the same exact test then what was different taking it there that you passed?

jalen22

Was it the same eye test at the army hospital? Just wondering if it was the examiner that messed it up for you? And if it was the same exact test then what was different taking it there that you passed?
Yea it was the same where you wear the glasses and choose the dot that stands out most. Pretty sure the meps examiner did it wrong since I'm not the first one it happened to at my meps

exNavyOffRec

Having had a friend that was one of the personnel that did the inspections of those who administer MEPS eye exams it is more likely that the person administering the eye exam at the base did it not per exact procedures, and given the number of people I saw fail at MEPS, then pass at a MTF/civilian eye doc, then fail during the physical at OCS that makes sense.

The MEPS techs have to follow strict procedures while the ones at the base are supposed to, often they are a bit lax and this goes for more than eye exams. I found after the fact of 2 people I knew that I was stationed with who were deemed qualified for SNA that rec'd a full physical at a MTF that were found to not be qualified for aviation at OCS.

Having had a friend that was one of the personnel that did the inspections of those who administer MEPS eye exams it is more likely that the person administering the eye exam at the base did it not per exact procedures, and given the number of people I saw fail at MEPS, then pass at a MTF/civilian eye doc, then fail during the physical at OCS that makes sense.

The MEPS techs have to follow strict procedures while the ones at the base are supposed to, often they are a bit lax and this goes for more than eye exams. I found after the fact of 2 people I knew that I was stationed with who were deemed qualified for SNA that rec'd a full physical at a MTF that were found to not be qualified for aviation at OCS.

What kinds of things might they find at OCS that would disqualify you for aviation?

guitarist57

Thick thighs save lives

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Wait, the vision requirements is uncorrected 20/100? Unless I’m understanding this wrong I thought the vision requirement for SNA was 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20. Either I’m missing something or something changed and I’m cool with it being more relaxed.

1812TC

Wait, the vision requirements is uncorrected 20/100? Unless I’m understanding this wrong I thought the vision requirement for SNA was 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20. Either I’m missing something or something changed and I’m cool with it being more relaxed.
I've seen most people claiming 20/40 correctable to 20/20 but this may just be a recruiting guide? Because both my flight surgeon and optometrist at NAS Jacksonville said 20/100 correctable to 20/20 is waiverable. This actually worries me a little because I was 20/40 for my Class I Flight Physical that I processed with my NAMI waivers, but feel that if I test even slightly worse, then ill be dropped. (Getting SNFO would be ideal over re-des to anything else). I didn't even have a waiver for my eyesight. My waiver clearing me for my back states:
1. Based on review of physical exam on DATE, member is:
a. Physically qualified for Student Naval Aviator
b. Physically qualified for Student Naval Flight Officer
2. -member meets Physical Standards for appointment to commissioned rank in USN and USMC.
-Member must wear corrective lenses in performance of Aviation Duties.

I'm going to look into the ManMed today and NAMI waiver guide/ vision requirements.