• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting out and want to train NFOs?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Nor helo bubbas... it's not already bad enough that I'll never make CAG :(

I was poking fun at a recurring theme from around here; I didn't mean to (almost) restart the debate ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In short, Hummer/Orion guys need not apply.

The same reason only jet guys were T-2 IPs in VT-86, they want folks who have fleet experience in what they are training the SNFOs in. It ain't hate, just common sense.

MasterBates

I noticed when I was getting out and job hunting, that almost any flying gig with L3 or LockMart paid absolute crap, or paid crap for the area (SD, DC).

I'm not talking 10% less than I make as an Engineer crap.. I'm talking, after paying student loans ($800) and mortgage ($1300) and putting 10% in savings, I have no money to do anything else crap. Went through interview through offer with LockMart in Jax. Seriously considered taking it, as my parents live in JAX, and my dad doesn't have a lot of years left where he'll remember who the hell I am.

$45k. In Jax. That was it. And it wasn't even a flying gig, it was just something they needed a pilot for. (JUMPS instructor in Mayport).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I noticed when I was getting out and job hunting, that almost any flying gig with L3 or LockMart paid absolute crap, or paid crap for the area (SD, DC).

I'm not talking 10% less than I make as an Engineer crap.. I'm talking, after paying student loans ($800) and mortgage ($1300) and putting 10% in savings, I have no money to do anything else crap. Went through interview through offer with LockMart in Jax. Seriously considered taking it, as my parents live in JAX, and my dad doesn't have a lot of years left where he'll remember who the hell I am.

$45k. In Jax. That was it. And it wasn't even a flying gig, it was just something they needed a pilot for. (JUMPS instructor in Mayport).

A lot of the jobs assume that the applicant is a retired veteran. The sim instructors at the TRACOM are like that. They don't provide medical (because the members can use TRICARE) and they know they're using their retirement pay to offset the lower contract pay. I'm not saying it's easier to swallow because of that, but often that's the logic behind it.

Why did (at the time) Mayport need a JMPS instructor? It's only just now starting to come online for HSL/M, and I think -40 is a little behind (though I may have misheard that the other day).

MasterBates

No idea. The wanted to hire me because I know JMPS, and I flew 60Bs, so I knew the HSL mission.

I had another company assume I was retireing.

They offered me 55k. I said that's awful low for an Engineer. "Well, we figure we can pay you less since you have retirement pay coming in".

Um, it would have been my pay, that I earned, IF I had retired. Told them to GTFO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Were you guys running JMPS on det? The machines we got from the Weapons School on my last deployment (2010) were still PFPS (or whatever we call it now), so I didn't think it was "there" yet.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
A lot of the jobs assume that the applicant is a retired veteran. The sim instructors at the TRACOM are like that. They don't provide medical (because the members can use TRICARE) and they know they're using their retirement pay to offset the lower contract pay. I'm not saying it's easier to swallow because of that, but often that's the logic behind it.

Why did (at the time) Mayport need a JMPS instructor? It's only just now starting to come online for HSL/M, and I think -40 is a little behind (though I may have misheard that the other day).

My onwing retired this month and applied as a sim instructor at Whiting. He told me those guys were making 96k/year...in Milton. Truth?

MasterBates

I can tell you the pay for RAG Sim IPs in both Norfolk and JAX is not that high when I asked about it.. 96k equivalent MAYBE (based on hours worked per day) but not 96k.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
My onwing retired this month and applied as a sim instructor at Whiting. He told me those guys were making 96k/year...in Milton. Truth?

seeing as sim instructors can unionize (they are at NUW) - there's no telling what kind of ridiculous racket they're running.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I have no idea. My point was that there may be certain things withheld in the "salary" because of the understanding that most applicants are retired. Not saying that's right or wrong, just a possibility. $96K sounds pretty choice...except that whole "doing a I2101 every day until eternity" thing.

I never bothered to ask Wolfy, but I always wondered what the contract maintenance pilots made at Whiting. I know Wolfy was always happy, though. Another one of the guys was a SELRES, so he'd spend one day flying for -3, the next doing FCFs.

seeing as sim instructors can unionize (they are at NUW) - there's no telling what kind of ridiculous racket they're running.

You weren't around yet, but the Whiting guys actually went on strike when I was in Primary. It was amusing to see your favorite/most-hated sim instructor with a picket sign outside of the main gate. I was a huge fan because I did all my Primary sims in the aircraft (in about 5 days and over a weekend), which was so much easier. I then struggled to make MIF when I went back to the sims in Intermediate because I didn't know how to fly the sim.