• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting out and want to train NFOs?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
T-39 pilots were making just shy of 100K...so the 96K figure sounds about right...

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogpilot73

JMPS is the Devil's Program
This.

PFPS was confusing, but once you mastered it - you were a jedi.

JMPS is so confusing, no one can master it - and only someone that makes $65k/year (in Norfolk - I interview for the JMPS support position in Norfolk, same as Master) can explain it. And even then, I'm sure they're going to get confused.

jtmedli

pilot
This.

PFPS was confusing, but once you mastered it - you were a jedi.

JMPS is so confusing, no one can master it - and only someone that makes $65k/year (in Norfolk - I interview for the JMPS support position in Norfolk, same as Master) can explain it. And even then, I'm sure they're going to get confused.

That.....or the computer, with it's pentium 2 processor, will '$hit the bed' while trying to calculate your fuel burn from PtA to PtB.

KBayDog

As someone who is of PFPS vintage:

My guess is that your designated Squadron JMPS Officer (or similar official-sounding, yet completely made-up billet (and FitRep bullet) for a JO) has no ability to do anything within the program, and thus must utilize this $65K JMPS support position every time something goes wrong...which is more often than not.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a national JMPS HelpDesk you can call, wait on hold for 1.5 hours or so, say "Unclassified" when someone finally picks up, give them your "Asset #," then have them fix your problem remotely (only if you have someone in the office "verify" you with their 4-digit JMPS PIN that nobody actually remembers).

Sound about right? Or am I thinking of something else?

phrogpilot73

As someone who is of PFPS vintage:

My guess is that your designated Squadron JMPS Officer (or similar official-sounding, yet completely made-up billet (and FitRep bullet) for a JO) has no ability to do anything within the program, and thus must utilize this $65K JMPS support position every time something goes wrong...which is more often than not.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a national JMPS HelpDesk you can call, wait on hold for 1.5 hours or so, say "Unclassified" when someone finally picks up, give them your "Asset #," then have them fix your problem remotely (only if you have someone in the office "verify" you with their 4-digit JMPS PIN that nobody actually remembers).

Sound about right? Or am I thinking of something else?
I was a PFPS ninja. Every time I get on JMPS, I realize that they made it even MORE counter-intuitive than PFPS was. And their help file sucks. And no, the only time I call that guy is when the hard drive shit the bed.

Just the other day, it was deciding to burn 4400 lbs of fuel on start. Took me FOREVER to find the little STTO options to fix it.

Fuck JMPS.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Anybody that accepts less pay or benefits because they are retired are selling themselves and everybody else short. Companies only get by with this because people let them. It's bullshit. The idea is that your retirement pay supplements your second career's income, not that it pays part of it.

This is one of the reasons I refused to fly for a regional airline during my furlough. I decided I'd rather work a non-flying job that paid me what I was worth than accept a substandard paycheck. Luckily I kept finding flying jobs that paid good salaries. I had one Citation owner tell me during the interview he pulled my resume because I was retired military so he could save money by not offering the medical benefits the other pilots got. I told him that was fine as long as he bumped up my salary an amount corresponding to what he would have paid for the benefits. He said that would defeat the purpose of hiring me instead of another pilot. I replied, "then don't" and walked out of the interview. I wasn't going to work for an aircraft owner that nickled and dimed that much, or saw my military retirement as a benefit to himself instead of something I earned.

MasterBates

HAL's post is exactly why I'm an engineer who flies when needed, as opposed to a pilot who happens to have an engineering degree.

I could have hired on at Skywest. I'm not working for $20k a year and relying on a second job at Lowes or SELRES to keep my family fed.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
That.....or the computer, with it's pentium 2 processor, will '$hit the bed' while trying to calculate your fuel burn from PtA to PtB.
I was a PFPS ninja. Every time I get on JMPS, I realize that they made it even MORE counter-intuitive than PFPS was. And their help file sucks. And no, the only time I call that guy is when the hard drive shit the bed.

Just the other day, it was deciding to burn 4400 lbs of fuel on start. Took me FOREVER to find the little STTO options to fix it.

Fuck JMPS.

Wonder if this has to do with the aircraft you're using JMPS for? As a card carrying member of the "i can mission plan on a napkin" club, I generally loathe programs that are supposed to "help", especially when the name includes the word Joint. That being said - JMPS for F-18E/F/G is pretty straight forward and works very well. Not sure if this is because the aircraft is really designed around a card that is loaded through JMPS..? Literally can't do much of anything without a DMD loaded through JMPS - so I guess it's designed to work/interface/accept better.

MasterBates

In the E-2 we'd have to plan with JMPS per out Level V Jedi Master NFO (never a pilot WTI), even though.. Gues what.. WE CANT SEE ANY OF IT UP FRONT.

I still did low levels with the marked up chart cut to fit into a kneeboard.

phrogpilot73

Wonder if this has to do with the aircraft you're using JMPS for? As a card carrying member of the "i can mission plan on a napkin" club, I generally loathe programs that are supposed to "help", especially when the name includes the word Joint. That being said - JMPS for F-18E/F/G is pretty straight forward and works very well. Not sure if this is because the aircraft is really designed around a card that is loaded through JMPS..? Literally can't do much of anything without a DMD loaded through JMPS - so I guess it's designed to work/interface/accept better.
We load our bricks through JMPS. Everything - building routes, building primary/revisionary points, loading bricks has been made harder with JMPS. I haven't even TRIED to find the ninja shit I used to do on PFPS, because I know it will likely waste half my day...

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Just a question. Are we all talking about the same JMPS? What I read a while ago was that with the 60R/S and 80-series software, JMPS 2.0 came with it. I think that's the version the Super Hornet guys have been using as well and seem to like. This is opposed to JMPS 1.x which I've heard not a lot of good things about.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Company: L-3 Vertex Aerospace LLC​
Position: T-39N/G Pilot​
Requisition ID: 037981​
Salary: Contract terms​
Anyone here really interested in this position...AW search Cmdr Douglas Barron... and read. If qualified & still looking for 'first hand' answers to your questions, PM me. Doug is an old friend & Squadronmate, a 30-year veteran of the program, and I may be able to put you in e- mail contact with him for info if he is amenable.

BTW, Doug told me he quintupled the ~3500 jet hours he retired from the Navy with, and it was fun flying, lots of VA type low-level nav out of P'Cola.... dream job, no instructin' jus' flyin'!:)
*Possible downside: must spend an inordinate amount of time hob-nobbing with 'double anchors'!:eek:
BzB

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . or saw my military retirement as a benefit to himself instead of something I earned.

HAL - never heard it expressed that way, but you hit the nail on the head. I know lots of folks working in Training Systems jobs for contracting firms that pull the same BS. Never seemed right to me. Thanks for the clarity !!!

MasterBates

HAL - never heard it expressed that way, but you hit the nail on the head. I know lots of folks working in Training Systems jobs for contracting firms that pull the same BS. Never seemed right to me. Thanks for the clarity !!!
When I was getting out, I almost took a job with Caterpillar.

Good pay (close to what I make in oil field, but home every night), standard benefits, etc.

When I had an offer in hand, and called to get the specifics on relocation, CAT's relocation lady asked me who my current employer was. I told her I was in the Navy.

She told me, that I "had to have benefits" and that I would now not be getting the $20k for tempo housing, and relocation that was in my offer letter. Multiple calls to HR didn't fix it..

End state, I don't work for CAT. I've been called twice since I started at the oil company, but they were not amenable to my terms. They just wanted to re offer the initial job, with the relocation put back. Every time they call me, (the job I interviewed for is still unfilled) I add more stuff to my demands.

I think now I'm up to:
1- Buy my house in Wyoming. Cash. Selling it is your problem.
2- No touch move
3- $40k cash for relocation expenses
4- Increased salary to what I make now
5- 2 extra paid weeks vacation, provided they are used for Reserve/ANG flying.

Oddly enough, #1 is the only one they have balked at. They keep on calling, so my demands must not be that outrageous. :D

I think if they call me again, I'm adding plane tickets at company expense to drill sight.