• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gift for newly winged son?

gotta_fly

pilot
Just my non-winged $.02:

As an alternative, my mom had my grandfather's AF wings framed with his service photo from back in the day and a small steel plate (AF name tag style I guess) with his name and rank engraved on it. It's a classy tribute and will always have a place of honor in my home.

I obviously can't wear his, but even if I could I would be a little hesitant given the day-to-day abuse that the rest of my insignia takes. This way I get to see them and show them off and they stay safe so I can pass them on some day.

MasterBates

Nice wings (real solid gold or heirlooms) are for "formal days only".. I would never wear them on Khakis or to say dining outs.

snamom2

We will be there, for sure! I have no idea what the ceremony is like, or what it entails, and I don't want to embarass my son.

Thanks to all for your input; I appreciate your perspectives and suggestions.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We will be there, for sure! I have no idea what the ceremony is like, or what it entails, and I don't want to embarass my son.

From a student's perspective, I guarantee it will not be embarrasing for your son to get pinned with such meaningful wings of gold!

efini_kid

giving your son his grandpa's wings is an awesome gift! i think there is no better gift! especially you can get inscribed on the back both of their initials and winging dates.

BlkPny

pilot
You can be present at your son's winging ceremony, and you and your family will be invited to go up on stage (or in front of the flag) and pin his new wings on. They will have a set of wings for him and all you have to do is tell the presiding officer "No thanks, I brought his grandfather's wings". They will be more than happy to let you use those older wings. I pinned my original wings on my daughter, and it was no problem.

Also, +1 for having both their names engraved on the back. Even if they are worn or tarnished, they are a treasure.

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful

I just wanted to commend you on your conscientiousness. It's refreshing to see someone take such pride and pay good attention to the particulars of military service.

My mom still thinks I was in the Army.

I assure you the last thing your son will feel is embarrassment.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....and I don't want to embarass my son.

I had my mom pin my wings on me. The photo has been on display ever since in the family room where she can see it from her favorite sitting spot.

MasterBates

I recommend having mom put on wings over GFs, Fiancées or possibly even wives.

I haven't burnt my winging picture YET.. But I want to because of who is in it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Photoshop might be the answer to fix that.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor

Husband probably agress with you. I suspect his mom wouldn't have hit quite as hard as me and she surely wouldn't have drawn blood. ;)

He winged at a ceremony at NHA and the captain (I think??) who was MCing seemed very amused, however.

phrogpilot73

If your Mom flies down to Norfolk, PSW and I will be willing to do the required photographic/photoshop work to fix that... ;)

FWIW - My Dad pinned mine on, but I do have a picture with the ex - the one who liked Tiffany's...

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot

It will be pretty hard to embarrass your son on his winging day.

Giving him his grandfather's gold wings is a great idea. There are very few things more jealously guarded than a naval aviators wings. Having them come from his grandfather will make them that much more special.

We have a couple pilots in the squadron that have their grandfather's or dad's wings. One set is the World War II style with the lapel pin style instead of the dual posts. While the dual post style is more common, no one is ever going to take flak for wearing the other style, especially if it's passed down from a grandfather.

snamom2

Since I have two sets, one of each style, I was thinking of giving him the dual post style rather than the other.

Thanks again to all who have been so helpful.