• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gift for newly winged son?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Winging ceremonies aren't overly formal or anything. Everybody dresses up nice, but the day is explicitly for the wingees, and their families/friends. Take pictures, give them a hug, etc and so on.

The grandfather's wings with both their initials engraved on the back is the perfect winging present.

"Usual" winging presents include a nice watch, the "planes I flew" framed set (as mentioned above), a carved wooden model of his Fleet aircraft or carved wooden wings for the wall. I've also seen folks get a nice custom-made G-1 (Navy-style leather flight jacket) - yes, we get issued them, but they're made by the lowest bidder and a tailored and customized one is a lot better.

If Aunt Sue or whoever wants to get him something nice but less expensive: I got my wife a leather helmet bag from Pop's Leather for her winging. Usable every day but stylin'.

As mentioned, check out Wings' catalog (www.flywings.com). Butch has lots of good stuff, and it's the "traditional" source for winging gifts.