• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glasses When Flying

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
My vision is good, but not quite 20/20. I will have to wear glasses when I start flying.

Doe anybody have a picture of himself or somebody else in the Navy wearing these glasses? I can't find anything online. I hope they look at least somewhat cool.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
My vision is good, but not quite 20/20. I will have to wear glasses when I start flying.

Doe anybody have a picture of himself or somebody else in the Navy wearing these glasses? I can't find anything online. I hope they look at least somewhat cool.

Brett is going to have a field day with this.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most likely.

They look like this and they're not cool, although I suspect they might suit you:
birth_control_glasses.jpg

wrk

They're just gold rimmed aviatiors with clear lenses, not BCGs like you see people wearing in boot camp/ocs. I wouldn't wear them out on the town, but they don't look that bad.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is what you may be issued....in clear lenses.
aviator_glasses.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're just gold rimmed aviatiors with clear lenses, not BCGs like you see people wearing in boot camp/ocs. I wouldn't wear them out on the town, but they don't look that bad.

Way to ruin a great joke in three minutes or less. :icon_roll Issued flight glasses don't look any better than BCDs and are just as good an indicator that the wearer is a dork.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
They are horrendous. Almost noone wears them... except tools, dorks, dweebs and other unmentionables.

wrk

This is what you may be issued....in clear lenses.
aviator_glasses.jpg

Yup, except the ones I got were gold rimmed. There's no way I'd wear them unless my face was covered with a visor. They gave me a set of dark prescription ones too, they don't look quite as bad, but I'll stick to my raybans.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
One NFO I know wore the rubber gas mask glasses when flying. He said they were much more comfortable than jamming the earpieces of regular glasses between the helmet and his head.

Personally, I could care less if you look cool when flying, I care that you can see the ball or the lead aircraft, as appropriate. Function over style when flying. Style over function when in port.

Most guys wear contacts anyway. (Or get PRK)

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
I have the gold rimmed tinted aviators too...I thought they were pretty cool. I usually just wear contacts though.

Junior

pilot
I wear glasses when I fly. Have ever since FAM 1 in primary. I put the tinted visor down pretty quickly when I put them on, but I really don't give a sh*t what I look like or if people think I am a dork. Flying the ball with 20/30 vision without glasses and then going back and doing it with your eyes corrected to 20/15 makes a huge difference. Don't have contacts, but if anyone in the fleet that knows specifics on it PM me, I'd like to know my options.

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
I wear glasses when I fly. Have ever since FAM 1 in primary. I put the tinted visor down pretty quickly when I put them on, but I really don't give a sh*t what I look like or if people think I am a dork. Flying the ball with 20/30 vision without glasses and then going back and doing it with your eyes corrected to 20/15 makes a huge difference. Don't have contacts, but if anyone in the fleet that knows specifics on it PM me, I'd like to know my options.

Just go to the opthamologist at the clinic there on base and they can get you set up with contacts, or go see the flight surgeon. It doesn't take much. The only bad thing I see with contacts would be if you got something between the contact lense and your eyeball while flying, and especially on final for landing when you are at bingo.