• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glasses When Flying

skidz

adrenaline junky
RetreadRand said:
actually if you are 20/100 it means that from 20 feet away it looks like it is 100 feet away to you
That's something wrong with depth perception. Junior's got it, what you can see at 20 feet with 20/100 vision, is what someone with 20/20 vision can see at 100 feet. And someone with 20/15 can see something at 20 feet, when someone with 20/20 can only see at 15.

Hey Eddie, aren't you 19? And last I could remember, 19 is still nineteen, but if you're twenty, my bad and disregard.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The only bad thing I see with contacts would be if you got something between the contact lense and your eyeball while flying, and especially on final for landing when you are at bingo.
While that is a concern, and MAY happen, the chances of it really happening are slim. I have worn soft contacts for over 6 years and the only time I have had something between my eye and the contact is when I first put them on in the morning (its usually just a piece of fuzz from the towel or something). I just rinse them and they are good to go. As long as they are fresh and not been worn for 6 six months without cleaning them there should be no problems for that matter. Now having them dry up while wearing them or rubbing them out of the eye is another story.........

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Preface: I was not calling out anyone in particular. It's a pet peeve...

The important part:

I am a mongoloid.

'Nuff said.

Parting shot/scrounging for credibility: I know the diopters are important for commissioning purposes; I've been making sure mine were under the NAMI limits for aviation since I was 14.

@ Skids: I hate teenagers as a collective; I am still a teenager.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus Christ. This is just like a group of engineers trying to figure out an ASTB physics question - monkeys fvcking a football. Everybody knows the difference between 20/100, 20/20 and 20/15, so stop trying to explain it because you're all just confusing the issue. For the love of God, STOP IT!

Brett

Junior

pilot
Getting back to my question about contacts. How sensitive are contacts to sweat? The sweat really starts flowing during startup and sitting in marshall. Wouldn't want to wear contacts if I couldn't even get off the ground without issues.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting back to my question about contacts. How sensitive are contacts to sweat? The sweat really starts flowing during startup and sitting in marshall. Wouldn't want to wear contacts if I couldn't even get off the ground without issues.

Sweat is kind of like tears. Never had a problem.

Brett

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
You guys sure about -1.00 being a little off? Another thing is that I checked NOMI (NAMI maybe?) and that is within the limits.

The first time I went to an eye doctor was 2 months ago to make sure my eyes were correctable to 20/20. I swear my eyes were 20/20 -0.75 and 20/25 -1.00 when I went to the doctor.

Then I went to MEPS and I got 20/20 in both eyes (??? makes no sense).

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
On a side note, I want this thing:

20050125aad269.jpg

minifigherjet.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys sure about -1.00 being a little off? Another thing is that I checked NOMI (NAMI maybe?) and that is within the limits.

The first time I went to an eye doctor was 2 months ago to make sure my eyes were correctable to 20/20. I swear my eyes were 20/20 -0.75 and 20/25 -1.00 when I went to the doctor.

Then I went to MEPS and I got 20/20 in both eyes (??? makes no sense).

There's clearly some confusion as to what you're telling us. Assuming you're not talking about astigmatic correction, an uncorrected 20/20 eye would not require a spherical correction of -0.75.

Brett

es101js

pilot
for reference, does anyone know if an instructor can or will fail you during a check ride in primary if you are prescribed glasses from nami and dont wear them during flights, or do they have no way of knowing either way...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
for reference, does anyone know if an instructor can or will fail you during a check ride in primary if you are prescribed glasses from nami and dont wear them during flights, or do they have no way of knowing either way...

I'll take really stupid ideas for 300 Alex

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
not wearing your glasses, should you forget them be honest about it, dont get caught trying to hide it, not exactly Officer like conduct.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
that's a Pink sheet baby

I've never heard of anyone asking or caring about that. The onus is on you. That said, why would you handicap yourself by not having the best possible visual acuity?

Brett