• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glasses When Flying

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They look like this and they're not cool, although I suspect they might suit you:
birth_control_glasses.jpg

Brett, is this you in 1975?

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
If the issued glasses are REALLY bothering you that bad I'm pretty sure you can drop your own cash on a pair of civilian ones, seen a couple people sporting them, something smaller might fit under the helmet a bit better too, not my dept. though so I can't comment too much.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
On a related note, myopia is brutal for night vision. My right eye is allegedly pretty good (20/25 -1.00), yet I can't see squat at night.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a related note, myopia is brutal for night vision. My right eye is allegedly pretty good (20/25 -1.00), yet I can't see squat at night.

A -1.00 diopter is not for an eye seeing 20/25. More like 20/70, or thereabouts.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A -1.00 diopter is not for an eye seeing 20/25. More like 20/70, or thereabouts.

For Christ's sake people. When I ask you what your goddam vision is, do not rattle off your freaking diopters!

+/- x.xx does not mean **** to you, me or anyone else but your eye doctor/NAMI.

Your vision is 20 / something; it is a ratio that indicates visual acuity(what a normal eye sees at 20 feet / you see at X feet). Your diopters have to do with the goddam curvature of your eyeball and astigmatism. They are use for establishing a prescription (the cure) for your ****ty vision (the diagnosed problem).

Fvcking teenagers and their contact lenses...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
If the issued glasses are REALLY bothering you that bad I'm pretty sure you can drop your own cash on a pair of civilian ones, seen a couple people sporting them, something smaller might fit under the helmet a bit better too, not my dept. though so I can't comment too much.

I know at the Whiting clinic you could get prescription glasses other than the standard issue aviator ones. They had different frames you could choose from. I've got to go in and get another eye exam done, its been over 2 years. I'm gonna look into getting some different glasses myself.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

Keep in mind, seeing 20/25 during the day doesn't mean you can see 20/25 at night. Your pupil dialates to let more light in, hence making you more near sighted.

Concur with Brett...20/25 is probably -0.25 or -0.50

For Christ's sake people. When I ask you what your goddam vision is, do not rattle off your freaking diopters!

+/- x.xx does not mean **** to you, me or anyone else but your eye doctor/NAMI.

Your vision is 20 / something; it is a ratio that indicates visual acuity(what a normal eye sees at 20 feet / you see at X feet). Your diopters have to do with the goddam curvature of your eyeball and astigmatism. They are use for establishing a prescription (the cure) for your ****ty vision (the diagnosed problem).

Fvcking teenagers and their contact lenses...

The reason diopters are relevant is that for NFO, it's states the maximum refraction error is +/- 8.00, correctable to 20/20. It does not give a max 20/xx limit.

Junior

pilot
Isn't that backwards? Otherwise 20/15 would be worse than 20/100.

I think you are right. 20/100 - You see at 20 feet what a normal eye sees at 100 ft. 20/15 - You see at 20 feet what a normal eye sees at 15 feet. Sounds good to me.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Originally Posted by eddie
Me thinks eddie needs one of the famed stress management classes offered at Whiting...If people want to list what their diopters are for clarification purposes, why is it a problem for you? I wouldn't have bothered posting, except it kinda peeves me when someone makes an asinine post like yours above when they don't know what they are talking about. To correct your error: -.25 -.50 X 163 is my prescription. The -.25 IS the correction for myopia, also known as the sphere value. The -.50 is the amount of my astigmatism, or cylinder. The 163 is the axis in degrees that the astigmatism correction must be placed in the lens. Therefore if someone says I am 20/40 or -X.XX, it's absolutley valid. If you're going to make a fired up post, make sure you preflight first.