• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOING DOWNTOWN -- ISRAELI Style

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't bet the farm on that .... or your next paycheck. :)

Speaking of which, what ever came of that incident w/ the Vincennes Skipper's car bomb thing? Was that ruled terrorism, or some kind of domestic foul play?

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know, but I think they face a far bigger threat of encountering a car bomb in Israel when they go home at night than your average American aviator. I'm not saying that you can become famous "a la Maverick" by flying in the American military.

You may not get a bomb in your home, but if I remember the classes in SERE correctly, even in Vietnam the POWs were shown pictures of their homes, families, etc demonstrating that the bad guys can reach out and touch you where it hurts. I sure wouldn't want to be identified publicly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of which, what ever came of that incident w/ the Vincennes Skipper's car bomb thing? Was that ruled terrorism, or some kind of domestic foul play?

Brett
The Feds ruled it was someone with a "personal grudge" against him ... but the former CO knows of "no one with a personal grudge" against him ... except for a bunch of Iranians, perhaps ???

The Feds won't comment on it --- just offer the "belief" that it was non-military and non-Airbus shootdown related ... :)

Maybe a rogue group of J.O.'s ... ???

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You may not get a bomb in your home, but if I remember the classes in SERE correctly, even in Vietnam the POWs were shown pictures of their homes, families, etc demonstrating that the bad guys can reach out and touch you where it hurts. I sure wouldn't want to be identified publicly.

wow...what a "Hollywood" way to make someone talk....still, it probably works

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm not supposed to hear any more sere stories, they give me nightmares... and make me chuckle.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just deleted 20+ posts in this thread with absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Threadjacking is one thing, personal conversations about your college/frat/rotc unit can all be done in PMs.

As far as the hamburger thing, enough. Eddie's first comment was funny, leave it at that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Then-LCDR Mark Fox. (Now CAG or RADM... haven't kept up to date). But his name was advertised for having bagged a MiG and dropping bombs on a target in Desert Storm. He was, in a sense, the McDonnell Douglas / Boeing poster boy for the F/A-18's dual role of a "strike fighter"...

He finished his CAG tour (participated in opening act of OIF) and is a Rear Admiral now working in the White House.

thumb_foxmi.gif

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=115

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
That intercept was.... shall we say... less than textbook

Though perhaps the most famous F/A-18 pilot of that war is LCDR (now CAPT) Scott Speicher...

vert.speicher.jpg

http://www.freescottspeicher.org/

(oddly enough, the photo in the banner shows a Super Hornet..)

Whatever happened to him we may never know... but it's embarassment how little of an effort we made to find him when it became clear he survived the shoot-down.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
That intercept was.... shall we say... less than textbook

Though perhaps the most famous F/A-18 pilot of that war is LCDR (now CAPT) Scott Speicher...

vert.speicher.jpg

http://www.freescottspeicher.org/

(oddly enough, the photo in the banner shows a Super Hornet..)

Whatever happened to him we may never know... but it's embarassment how little of an effort we made to find him when it became clear he survived the shoot-down.

I just read that whole 6 piece article... I had no idea how little effort had been placed on this. It almost seems like there was effort to hide it and just make it go away. Crazy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just read that whole 6 piece article... I had no idea how little effort had been placed on this. It almost seems like there was effort to hide it and just make it go away. Crazy.
And Speicher is just one guy...

How about ... Vietnam? Korea? WW2?? Between the WW's ??? And that's just in the past century. Our government always does that --- once the shooting is over --- it's time to "officially" put on a new face and move on ...

This country has a sorry record for going the distance in an effort to bring EVERONE home. Rather, the general tendency seems to be an overwhelming desire on the part of politicians and bureaucrats to avoid any "messy loose ends" at all costs.

Loose ends. Like POW/MIA's ... ???

pow217.gif