• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Growler "Golden Path"

mraustinml

Hey y'all. Got SNA this past year and I'm really thinking about what I wanna fly. I'm really fascinated with the Growler and its mission set, but am really not as interested in Rhinos or F-35s. I understand the split off in the pipeline happens where you select strike, and you can go 1 of the 3 jet platforms. Does anyone know what the approximate proportion is of strike students that go Growler, Rhino, and Lightning, respectively? For me I'm really weighing whether it's worth the risk for me to pursue a path that has 3 options - two of which I'm kinda eh about, and one which I'm pumped for. I ask this cuz there are other options in the preference sheet aside from strike that also have me pumped too, so I'm wondering if it's more logical to go for those (although none pump me up as much as Growlers, which is why I'm asking LOL). Thanks y'all, I appreciate any advice/information you can render.

Meyerkord

pilot
For me I'm really weighing whether it's worth the risk for me to pursue a path that has 3 options
Do yourself a favor and get into the mindset that what you want isn't going to be available when its your time to pick. Yeah, you might get jets, if there's spots available on your week and you're top of your class. What happens when no Growler spots are open after that? Are you going to be salty about it? Because none of your peers will like you if that's the case. The numbers change all the time, so there's really no way to tell what it'll be like X% of the time. You have a ~50/50 shot at flying helos. Are you ok with that? Even after that, there's multiple options that have very different communities.

What I'm getting at is that you should be prepared to fly anything the Navy is willing to give you. A lot of this stuff is out of your control. That being said, I highly encourage you to talk with all your instructors about what they like/dislike about their communities and rank your dream sheet accordingly. The rest is up to Big Navy.

mraustinml

Do yourself a favor and get into the mindset that what you want isn't going to be available when its your time to pick. Yeah, you might get jets, if there's spots available on your week and you're top of your class. What happens when no Growler spots are open after that? Are you going to be salty about it? Because none of your peers will like you if that's the case. The numbers change all the time, so there's really no way to tell what it'll be like X% of the time. You have a ~50/50 shot at flying helos. Are you ok with that? Even after that, there's multiple options that have very different communities.

What I'm getting at is that you should be prepared to fly anything the Navy is willing to give you. A lot of this stuff is out of your control. That being said, I highly encourage you to talk with all your instructors about what they like/dislike about their communities and rank your dream sheet accordingly. The rest is up to Big Navy.
Got it. That's kinda what I figured, but wanted to ask just in case there was something more tangible. Thank you!

taxi1

pilot
Are you going to be salty about it?
Old guy here.

I have a young engineer who kept referring to someone and saying, “He makes me salty” which I thought was a good thing for the longest time. Salt on a margarita, etc. It created some confusion.

Meyerkord

pilot
Old guy here.

I have a young engineer who kept referring to someone and saying, “He makes me salty” which I thought was a good thing for the longest time. Salt on a margarita, etc. It created some confusion.
Hah, I could see how that would be confusing! I've seen it mostly used synonymously with bitter/disgruntled/annoyed/etc.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Old guy here.

I've slowly learned this is a new-fangled version, that means what Meyer just said above. It is not the traditional Navy use of the word.