• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier down video

MasterBates

Maybe.

Cyclic Stick (Where a normal control stick is)
ICS/Radio.
Chaff/Flare
Trim Rel
Trim (Pitch and Roll, also A/s above 50KTS)
Rescue Hoise (Up/DN)
Cargo Hook.
Emerg Release (HOIST/HOOK/RAST/MAD)
RA Release
AutoHover Depart
AFCS Relase

Collective Pitch Stick (Left Hand)
Coll Trim Relase
HDG Trim
Contingency Power (2.5 minute emergency power)
Searchlight ON/OFF/STOW
Searchligh SLEW
Primary Servo Off (1st/2nd Stage)

Pedals.
Trim Swith.

Other Stuff

ATO HCU
FLIR/HELLFIRE CONTROLS

Radio.ICS Fotpedals
Stabilator Control (on Collective in army birds)
PCLs (Center OH Console). Needed for Loss of Drive.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
MasterBates said:
It looks like there would definitly be a tactile differecne if you grabbed the wrong lever.

Many mishaps and near mishaps have happened because the wrong lever was moved. Sometimes it's a simple matter of grabbing the wrong lever due to inattention. Sometimes the lever is "grabbed" or "bumped" by something else (flight suit sleeves rolled up).

On launch from the ship, after going to full power and releasing the brakes, I make a very positive transfer with my hand from the throttle lever to the nozzle lever. There is a little flat spot on the nozzle lever top that I rub with my thumb all the way down the tramline. This keeps me from mixing up the levers and pulling the power to idle at the nozzle rotation line by mistake. Nobody could be that stupid, you ask? It's happened. 1 crash and 1 5' pullout that I know of.

The aircraft is great to fly, but very unforgiving to stupidity.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
The aircraft is great to fly, but very unforgiving to stupidity.

In other words, the classic anonymous quote applies:

"Flying is not inherently dangerous, but to an even greater extent than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's definitely one of those planes where the addage "no fast hands in the cockpit" applies. I'm pretty 'slow' and deliberate in moving my left hand between the two. Procedural errors can get you in trouble fast in the Harrier -- moreso than other a/c I'd wager.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
squeeze said:
It's definitely one of those planes where the addage "no fast hands in the cockpit" applies. I'm pretty 'slow' and deliberate in moving my left hand between the two. Procedural errors can get you in trouble fast in the Harrier -- moreso than other a/c I'd wager.

Just wait until you get your chance to try it from the back seat in a few years. You get the experience of gaurding both levers and the stick at the same time. Our old skipper had great HUD footage of his on-wing pulling the throttle to idle in the decel when he meant to go to hoverstop. Really eye-watering. I've had guys try to STO at 25 kts, try to suck the power to idle at NRAS (at bouge), and numerous other things. We all have to learn sometime.

MasterBates

I had a knuckle head 2P start shutting down the RUNNING ENGINE after losing one on an FCF. Hard to auto, slam PCL to FLY and beat the H2P all at once.

I grabbed his hand as he was trying to pull it over the idle detent to OFF

Yes, this was the idiot highlighted in the No-Stud-Left-Behind thread last week.

Pags

N/A
pilot
MasterBates said:
I had a knuckle head 2P start shutting down the RUNNING ENGINE after losing one on an FCF. Hard to auto, slam PCL to FLY and beat the H2P all at once.

I grabbed his hand as he was trying to pull it over the idle detent to OFF

Yes, this was the idiot highlighted in the No-Stud-Left-Behind thread last week.
mildly amusing in the sim...i can imagine it was a bit more eye opening in the air. no wonder the IPs keep telling me to pull it to idle, look at the VIDs, and then pull it off.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Hey can harriers do conventional landings?

Yes. Nozzles at 0 degrees, and on-speed around 160-180 depending on fuel weight. Most often requires power-nozzle-braking (PNB) which is when the nozzles are rotated forward of the hoverstop and power is brought back on (like thrust reversers) to get it stopped. Not really that big of a deal when you do them enough, but most fleet pilots never do them.

Most common landing is an RVL (rolling vertical landing). Target 60 kts ground speed and a 5 degree glideslope. Stops in a few hundred feet and can be done just about anywhere without tearing up the pavement.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's pretty fast for such a lil plane... ;)

No seriously... 160-180??

Tire speed is 180... stay below that and you're ok.

If you're heavy, you may be pushing it, but unless it's an emergency, you're not likely to do a CL while you're the least bit heavy. Either way they suck and I dislike doing them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tire speed is 180... stay below that and you're ok.

If you're heavy, you may be pushing it, but unless it's an emergency, you're not likely to do a CL while you're the least bit heavy. Either way they suck and I dislike doing them.

Just seems like an awfully fast on speed. I guess that's what you get for sporting those stubby little wings. Prowler is more like 120-130.

Brett