• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo crashes on deck of a ship

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Persian Gulf July of 02. They indeed lost tail rotor control. All survived, and so did the pax.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yep.....our unit CO showed us that video freshman year, and I believe he said the same thing

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Looks like they ran out of left peddle..

On second look at that video, I agree. You can see the slight right yaw all the way down. I am suprised though that coming into ground affect did not reduce the power reqs. Do you think they just weren't close enough to the deck?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
If you watch closely, when it's about 90 off from the camera, you can see the tail rotor is almost stopped.

Sure it's not camera shutter speed?

T-man

Fly Navy said:
Sure it's not camera shutter speed?

I'm sure a lot of it is probably shutter speed, but the tailroter would definitely have to slow down in order for it to yaw the way it did.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
T-man said:
I'm sure a lot of it is probably shutter speed, but the tailroter would definitely have to slow down in order for it to yaw the way it did.

That wasn't the issue. I know this. The issue is whether it stopped or not. I'll look again.

Edited to say: Tail rotor hasn't stopped, it just slowed to sync with the shutter speed.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wasnt there but here are some thoughts. As he came in one of two things happened.
Number one he had a stuck pedals situation i.e he lost the ability to change the pitch of the tail rotor to compensate for his power corrections. This could be caused by a loss of a control linkage or some fod at the pedals. I saw it happen once from TOW missile wire wrap around the pitch change links.

The other possibility is a loss of tail rotor authority. As he made his approach below the ship superstructure he lost his relative wind casing his tail rotor to be unable to "bite" on the turbulent air that was no longer being pushed behind him. If I had to guess I would say he came in heavy in a hot humid environment and didnt get his power in early so as he did the "clean and jerk" at the bottom. That rush in power probably caused a rotor droop which affected the tail rotor at the same time he lost his relative wind.

I could be wrong Im only an amatuer aerodynamics guy and Im glad they all got out. Crashing sucks.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I couldn’t tell what type ship that was but I know on CG's, one of the GTE's exhaust is right before the helo pad. The helo could have gone through the ships exhaust and all that hot/low density air could have affected available power.

With what skidkid said about wind, the ship has very little wake and that sea is dead calm so wind probably wasn't an issue.

There is another interesting video of a -46 not making the deck at this website; 6th video down on the website. (cant post, wrong format). There is some good tapes on that site including a marine -53 chopping off its own refueling probe, pretty interesting.

http://www.rapp.org/archives/2004/09/aircraft_crash_videos/

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
skidkid said:
I That rush in power probably caused a rotor droop which affected the tail rotor at the same time he lost his relative wind.

For those of you wondering, every turn the main rotor loses, the tail rotor loses 6-8 turns, hence losing effectiveness sooner. Again, a lot of other factors are more than likely involved.

Good post Skid

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
E5B said:
For those of you wondering, every turn the main rotor loses, the tail rotor loses 6-8 turns, hence losing effectiveness sooner. Again, a lot of other factors are more than likely involved.

Good post Skid

This is the same for all helos?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It varies with any number of other factors but it is easier to lose tail rotor authority due to the smaller size of the blades.