• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo crashes on deck of a ship

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Mefesto said:
If you watch closely, when it's about 90 off from the camera, you can see the tail rotor is almost stopped.

If the tail rotor was stopped, it's be a sh!t ton more violent right yaw, fast and out of control right yaw.

They could have been single-engine....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can probably look this one up on the Safety Center, as it seems to be in just about every safety standown I've been in. I honestly can't remember what failed, but it was a mechanical failure of the tail drive system somewhere. As they started to lose authority, they made a play for the deck rather than let the ship drive out (and as a result, I now brief to let the ship drive out). Obviously they didn't quite make it, so they got caught and then dynamic rollover and TQ does the rest. There's actually audio to that video too, but it's nothing more than hearing the HCO and the crash alarm.

As an aside, that footage is public today thanks to a Coast Guard BMC on the LEDET who got a copy and shared it with his friends. It spread from there. The story goes that after the crash, the boat crew was waiting for it's SAR swimmer to finish getting dressed out (edit: waiting for Steve to tell me he should have been there already). So the BMC jumped in the RHIB and told the Boat O to get going and he'd be the swimmer. That same BMC is the one in one of my pics I'm sure you can find on here of him "keeping up relations" w/ some Colombians.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Mefesto is right, what happened is when power was pulled at the bottom the TDC (tail rotor disconnect coupling) started slipping. The HAC of that aircraft and I fly in the same squadron now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, there you go. I figured it wouldn't take too long before we got a direct connection to one of the aircrew.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
The story goes that after the crash, the boat crew was waiting for it's SAR swimmer to finish getting dressed out (edit: waiting for Steve to tell me he should have been there already).
Well, he should've been. Jesus....boat deck manned and ready or not? If not, don't tell me it is.

Any way, on the GTE thing....#3 gas turbine generator exhaust is right there on the missile deck (which is just aft and below the helo deck). #3 should be shut down during flight ops. I'd be surprised if #3 was up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmmm...I don't have a copy of the NWP at hand (or whatever it's called now), but does it really say that the volcano is supposed to be cold? I ask because I can't remember.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't believe it says so, but it was our policy on VFG not to have it up during flight ops. I'd be curious to find out too if it is a hard and fast rule. I'm guessing its not, since the helo tends to come in from the starboard quarter, and therfore, missing the strong part of the updraft of #3 exhaust. Either way, we weren't willing to chance it. Fvcking pilots. They crash, and then blame the SWO's. We were just taking away a piece of their ammunition. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I don't believe it says so, but it was our policy on VFG not to have it up during flight ops. I'd be curious to find out too if it is a hard and fast rule.

Where's BCH? Snap to, nugget. What's the answer?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
when i was on my 1st class cruise on a CG, i am pretty sure the volcano was active with some of the helo operations. talking with the LSO in the shack, all they care about is not getting their nuts fried by the spy1d coming in to land.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Nope, that would be LSE

And they dont offer sh!t for help. IT aint like th guy can talk you donw when youre fighting a case of vertigo

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
skidkid said:
And they dont offer sh!t for help. IT aint like th guy can talk you down when youre fighting a case of vertigo

HA HA HA....yep I second that!!!! When was the last time anyone followed their signals to get you over the spot!!

PAC- Just let me know if he waves us off or tell us to stop.

PNAC- Roger...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually there are LSOs as well, but the S is for Safety instead of signal. For LAMPS ops, there is no LSE on deck for the exact reason you guys are complaining about (and rightfully so). Since we have to get your "probe" into a 3x3 "box," and not just put our gear somewhere in a big circle, it complicates things to have guys on deck (except during a RAST operation, but even then, they run inside once the helo is hooked up on the cable in the hover).

The LSO takes control of the deck from the tower, is responsible for telling the bridge when they've jacked up their wind hunting circle, and actually gives the green deck to the helo. On landing, he also helps conn the probe into the trap over the radio. Once recovered and shutdown and waterwashed, a LSO has to straighten the aircraft so it's lined up to get into the hangar. Probably one of the most bizarre evolutions to see, as the tailwheel looks like it's about to pop off the bead. All the pilots should be LSOs on cruise, and usually a couple of the maintainers are LSO-Traverse only (Chief, LPO, and day/night check supe).

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
gatordev said:
Where's BCH? Snap to, nugget. What's the answer?

Have not seen it written anywhere...but I have been told the same thing. The aft stack is supposed to be cold.

2 more ASW hops!!!