• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo crashes on deck of a ship

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Since we have to get your "probe" into a 3x3 "box," and not just put our gear somewhere in a big circle,

boy, that REALLY should not have made me laugh so loud.

Hi, I'm twelve...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
Actually there are LSOs as well, but the S is for Safety instead of signal. For LAMPS ops, there is no LSE on deck for the exact reason you guys are complaining about (and rightfully so).

Well, LAMPS ops is misleading. Non LAMPS helos can do that as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, sorry about that HH, didn't mean to exclude you guys, it's just a much rarer thing for you to do, from what I've heard. You guys have like two probes per squadron or something like that, right?

@Zab: Glad I could be here for you.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
gatordev said:
Actually there are LSOs as well, but the S is for Safety instead of signal. For LAMPS ops, there is no LSE on deck for the exact reason you guys are complaining about (and rightfully so). Since we have to get your "probe" into a 3x3 "box," and not just put our gear somewhere in a big circle, it complicates things to have guys on deck (except during a RAST operation, but even then, they run inside once the helo is hooked up on the cable in the hover).

The LSO takes control of the deck from the tower, is responsible for telling the bridge when they've jacked up their wind hunting circle, and actually gives the green deck to the helo. On landing, he also helps conn the probe into the trap over the radio. Once recovered and shutdown and waterwashed, a LSO has to straighten the aircraft so it's lined up to get into the hangar. Probably one of the most bizarre evolutions to see, as the tailwheel looks like it's about to pop off the bead. All the pilots should be LSOs on cruise, and usually a couple of the maintainers are LSO-Traverse only (Chief, LPO, and day/night check supe).

Hmm, well, they might be called LSO's but not, since that has nothing to do with the duties of an LSO and LSE's on a carrier or L decks. Sounds more like a mix of mini-boss/ACHO to me. But then again small-decks are a different world and I've never landed on a RAST assisted deck before...maybe the LAMPS guys can chime in.
I say that because being an LSO is a big hat on fix wing world.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Um, I am a LAMPS guy, hence my dissertation (I don't have the title under my name right now). You're right, it's not the same as an LSO on a carrier, and we don't think of it that way (although we get paid the same). But, I'll tell you that on more than one ocassion, I've appreciated the conning of the LSO or given much needed conning as an LSO (mostly the latter, I'll have you know ;) ). There are some nights when you have to talk someone down all the way into the trap.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
Oh, sorry about that HH, didn't mean to exclude you guys, it's just a much rarer thing for you to do, from what I've heard. You guys have like two probes per squadron or something like that, right?

You are correct, we only have a couple probes, and we rarely train for it, let alone do it irl. I have no idea how you could do it without an LSO in anything other than perfect conditions.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You'd be surprised especially since we do it all the time in EMCON. It just takes a crewman who's on the ball and some practice.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
You'd be surprised especially since we do it all the time in EMCON. It just takes a crewman who's on the ball and some practice.

Wow, I am retarded, it's been too long since I have flown. I forgot about AW's.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
gatordev said:
I've appreciated the conning of the LSO or given much needed conning as an LSO (mostly the latter, I'll have you know ;) )There are some nights when you have to talk someone down all the way into the trap.

Oh boy....I see now....one of those things I'm glad I'll never have to do, saw it once...no thanks, gotta hand it to you guys.

It's hard enough on a pitching deck, pitch black night on a non rast deck...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I remember my first night onboard during my first set of workups (the RAG doesn't count, because you have no idea what you're doing anyway). I was down in the LSO shack, and it was about average for the Pacific. It was night and on a frigate. As I was watching the LSO and the helo over the deck, I thought this had to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Surely there's got to be a better way...

But you get used to it and it becomes "comfortable."

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the probe? Does it lock you in place when you touch down or is it that refuel while hover thing?
I was doing a VBSS as a FAC and had to get picked up from a frigate by a Phrog, looked really tight one of the msot uncomfortable times as a passenger I had.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
skidkid said:
What is the probe? Does it lock you in place when you touch down or is it that refuel while hover thing?
I was doing a VBSS as a FAC and had to get picked up from a frigate by a Phrog, looked really tight one of the msot uncomfortable times as a passenger I had.

Yeah, when the a/c lands on deck, the goal is to get the probe inside the trap. (probe is in the aft part of the cabin). Once trapped inside, hydraulic beams close around it, securing the helo to the deck.

Can also be used to "winch" the boat onto the deck from a hover. Also used to traverse the bird into the hanger./// IE Recovery, Assist, Traverse.... RAST probe.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I knew one of the pilots (female) and her husband of this crash. At least I'm pretty sure this was the crash. Her husband was an AMO at VAW-120. Scary stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, what BCH said. The beams aren't really meant to hold the helo in place by themselves, as it's really hard on the probe, but it will do it when it needs to. On more than one occassion, I've been sitting in the cockpit and seen "Low Rotor" or "Engine Out" lights because the left main mount has come off the deck a little bit and triggered the WOW switch. Makes you appreciate the strength of the chains.