• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Holy Sh** MH-60S video

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Yick, I would much prefer a fullbody harness similar to the aloft harness, but that's just me.

Couldn't move around as easily with one of those I imagine. The crewmen in the back of helos have to get down on the deck to see thru the hellhole for hookups, and have to lean out the door.

hscs

pilot
They showed us that one during a class in the FRS a couple days ago. The IP said the helo had to fly back to a ship where they could land with him hanging so he could get back in the helo. Not sure if thats correct or not though.

They did have to put him down on the ship while he was still hanging -- the crewman screwed up and clipped into the floor, as opposed to the overhead. If crewman had clipped into the overhead, he would have been able pull himself back in. Still doesn't excuse the poor approach....

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i didn't know squids had discipline such as that of the dumbass on the deck of that ship in the video

S/F

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
i didn't know squids had discipline such as that of the dumbass on the deck of that ship in the video

S/F

What do you mean? Not trying to be defensive, just don't understand what you're talking about. The hookup man is used to being there and having the helo squat on him all the time.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Actually hooking into the overhead has its own issues with crewman being thrown out of the helo. The best place is on the aft bulkhead to the transition section. Luckily the AW's now have the option of the MARS system, which replaces the traditional gunners belt for a 5 point harness with a locking reel.
The pilot definately flew a f^(&@# up approach. But then again most of the Sierra guys have been doing that since the transition. You see some scary stuff. And talking to the pilots, the airframe actually makes popping noises when you take a sideflare so far, and some of them shoot for that sound because they think its cool.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
What do you mean? Not trying to be defensive, just don't understand what you're talking about. The hookup man is used to being there and having the helo squat on him all the time.
to clear my confusion then, what that helo is doing in the video is a normal approach and the crewman just happened to get slung out? because to my virgin eyes it looked like the helo was fairly close to crashing and the hookup guy was just standing there like nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

Super Hornet 88

The pilot definately flew a f^(&@# up approach. But then again most of the Sierra guys have been doing that since the transition. You see some scary stuff. And talking to the pilots, the airframe actually makes popping noises when you take a sideflare so far, and some of them shoot for that sound because they think its cool.

Have those guys been doing that type of approach with the sea knight they used to operate?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Gah. Having, you know, actually *done* sideflares in the sierra, no, I haven't heard any popping coming from any part of the airframe - not that you could hear much besides the engines, the shuffle, or the crewman before you thought "holy sh!t, what is going on back there?" and called it off.

The approach looks weird and fast because of the fact that the helo is traveling sideways - but that's also the quickest way to slow down. If the pilot slides juuuust a bit further to the right, his cargo hook is right over the load and ready for the hookup man. Also, notice that the hookup man doesn't even drop the pendant until the guy is over the load and obviously too far forward - showing that yes, Virginia, this is (mostly) how VERTREP is done quickly and effeciently.

I'd also wager that that was a normal 135 degree approach, minus the end where he ended up short. (common for beginning 2Ps/PQMs)

hscs

pilot
The airframe doesn't pop, but again, the approach, in my opinion, is unnecessary. Too often, you end up out of the wind and spend more time getting the hook over the load as you would if you did a smooth straight in, that gives you better performance and safety margin, due to the fact that you had a headwind.

It may make you think you are cool -- only until you f--- it away and are sitting at the wrong end of the long green table.

squorch2

pilot
I don't think it's particularly cool - it's just fun to do, and once you get good at it, you can put the hook over the load much more quickly than you could with a straight in.

As for the windline, you get the headwind on the drop, thereby increasing your safety margin there - you're out of the wind on the pick, and you wouldn't depart the deck if you were drooping there anyway.

hscs

pilot
I don't think it's particularly cool - it's just fun to do, and once you get good at it, you can put the hook over the load much more quickly than you could with a straight in.

As for the windline, you get the headwind on the drop, thereby increasing your safety margin there - you're out of the wind on the pick, and you wouldn't depart the deck if you were drooping there anyway.

So, then when you pick up a load out and start drooping (because you have higher torque requirements) -- you are saying that is a good time to be out of the windline? Sounds like bad headwork to me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, then when you pick up a load out and start drooping (because you have higher torque requirements) -- you are saying that is a good time to be out of the windline? Sounds like bad headwork to me.

You helo "warriors" are so cute, arguing about VERTREP technique. :D

Brett

squorch2

pilot
It's not even an argument, it's a misunderstanding... basically, you'd be out of the windline on the pick ship and into it on the drop ship... thereby giving you an extra margin of power on the drop. Were the reverse true, where you were out of the wind on the drop ship, you could possibly pick up a load due to wind effect that you couldn't handle while over the drop ship, resulting in a pickle. I'll try and make a crappy drawing illustrating this concept.

hscs

pilot
How about staying into the wind on both approaches. That's a novel idea. The second you pick up a load that is too heavy, you will droop and spin --not a good thing over the deck of a boat.

Trying to figure out how being into the wind is a misunderstanding.