• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Holy Sh** MH-60S video

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
to clear my confusion then, what that helo is doing in the video is a normal approach and the crewman just happened to get slung out? because to my virgin eyes it looked like the helo was fairly close to crashing and the hookup guy was just standing there like nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

The clarification is that I don't think the helo was close to crashing. As the others are saying, it's normal for Vertrep aircraft to come in sideways. It might have been too extreme for that aircraft, that day, but it's totally normal for the aircraft to squat on top of the hookup man so he can put the pendant on the hook. The fact that the guy fell out really didn't seem to have a whole lot to do w/ the less than optimal approach, as you can see him pop out after the helo gets in position and then lurches over to the pendant. At least that's what my non-Sierra eyes see.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
How about staying into the wind on both approaches. That's a novel idea. The second you pick up a load that is too heavy, you will droop and spin --not a good thing over the deck of a boat.

Trying to figure out how being into the wind is a misunderstanding.

Or you could just go HSL and not have to worry about this at all.:icon_wink

hscs

pilot
Yeah just kidding -- although it wouldn't surprise me if the R airframe made popping sounds when you took off because it was so heavy.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
The clarification is that I don't think the helo was close to crashing. As the others are saying, it's normal for Vertrep aircraft to come in sideways. It might have been too extreme for that aircraft, that day, but it's totally normal for the aircraft to squat on top of the hookup man so he can put the pendant on the hook. The fact that the guy fell out really didn't seem to have a whole lot to do w/ the less than optimal approach, as you can see him pop out after the helo gets in position and then lurches over to the pendant. At least that's what my non-Sierra eyes see.
thanks for the clarification, i learned something

S/F