• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does the election affect military aviation?

FlyingSquidz

Although I'm sure this is 99% speculation, can the saltier aviators chime in on what they feel will change, if anything, under both parties?

From downsizing/billets, to funding, to pay raises, to flight hours, etc.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If one of the parties gets in ... there will be an overall "net spending cut" for the government as a whole ... :)

Just like there was an "overall net decrease in government workers" 10-12 years ago ...

Only problem was ... it was -- and will be -- ALL borne on the backs of the U.S. military ... jobs ... paychecks ... equipment ... training ... careers ... pensions ... etc.

Believe it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
... "everything I ever knew, I learned from Navy Chief" ...

Thanks for the head's up, Master Chief ... as most of these boys are clueless and go .... :sleep_125 .... when they hear/read this stuff ... BUT:

It's going to effect each & EVERY ONE of you ... to not pay attention to these issues is pure, fatal, personal folly.

Believe it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The retirement revamp is going to come sooner or later, for better or worse. First, because of money. Second, because our current system doesn't shape the force the way we need it. The military should be a pyramid, with some people leaving for either their reasons or the military's each step of the way. Right now, you either get out at the end of your initial commitment or you go the distance to 20. Only rarely do people get out at 10+ years. Instead, we get a lot of deadweight E-6 to E-8s and O-4/5s just biding their time.

As far as the original question--the effect on military aviation, I don't think it's entirely clear. McCain's a hawk, but he's a no-nonsense guy. He will not hesitate to shut down programs he doesn't think are working. I can see him slashing at least a couple of major programs just to show the industry who's boss.

His opponent is propably no friend of the defense budget as a whole, but I can see him blowing Boeing and the West Coast liberal Democrat congressional delegation until they can't see straight.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I can see him blowing Boeing and the West Coast liberal Democrat congressional delegation until they can't see straight.

But I thought Boeing moved to Chicago ... hmmmmmmmmmm ... now what political "force" is currently glowing out of Chi-Town, anyway ... :D

AND .. I have it on good authority that John McCain wants to re-open the A-4 production lines .... get ready.

a4skyhawksminehaiphonghyt1.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Something that was striking to me was McCain's response to one of the first questions in the debate the other night regarding social security. Rather than address the issues with social security, healthcare, etc., he went immediately into the financial and energy mess.

You would think that a man of his age would be more sensitive to the issue.

So either way, I don't think it looks good for us re: retirement stuff. I'm with Huey: beer it is.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
No matter which candidate wins this election, he is going to have some serious bills to pay after covering the cost of the war in Iraq, the economic bailout, and the rapidly approaching fatigue life of many platforms.

One of the prime directives for any politician is to protect and grow jobs...in each and every district. Defense contractors, be they considered patriots or death merchants depending upon your political leanings, employ a lot of folks. Neither party really has the political backbone to slash jobs that way, I believe.

The real cost driver for the DoD is personnel costs, both in "now" dollars and banking for the retirements. Cutting people from the military is never an easy thing to do, but it is a valid option...after all...who advocates/lobbies for the first 3,500 sailors "right-sized"...or the next batch of 5,000 etc...

Realistically, I would expect a some of both...cut backs in weapons systems procurement and manpower reductions.

With regards to the military retirement...ohh boy...that's a big minefield. No one who has earned the 20 year good deal wants to lose it...but who wants to wait until that point to receive any benefits?

The thing to keep in mind is the simple fact that this is an all volunteer force...whatever gets cooked up by the politicos needs to be pretty attractive...and also needs to be flexible enough to avoid the already mentioned negatives of folks hanging on for dear life until the big TWO ZERO.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Although I'm sure this is 99% speculation, can the saltier aviators chime in on what they feel will change, if anything, under both parties?

From downsizing/billets, to funding, to pay raises, to flight hours, etc.
To break it down (and this goes for most people):

My guy will make things better in oh, so many ways. Everything will improve. All of the good things you have heard about him are true.

The guy I don't want will make things much worse. Things will get very sucky. All of the bad things you have heard about him are true.

Hope this helps.;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.. I have it on good authority that John McCain wants to re-open the A-4 production lines .... get ready.

He may not have to...plenty still around including some really sweet ones languishing in New Zealand

USN cum Israeli Scooter back to serving USN again via ATAC

A4sForever.jpg

HJ Photo from September timeframe

FDX

It's mind games!
To break it down (and this goes for most people):

My guy will make things better in oh, so many ways. Everything will improve. All of the good things you have heard about him are true.

The guy I don't want will make things much worse. Things will get very sucky. All of the bad things you have heard about him are true.

Hope this helps.;)

I am also voting for Sen. McCain. :icon_trou :D:D:D