• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many Naval Aviators have there been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattwieand

Does anybody know how many winged naval aviators there have been? How many jet, helo, props? # of Navy and Marine Corps. I am standing watch and I'm really bored.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
But young grasshopper...if you were truly bored, you would find out yourself.

We await your answer to your question.

mattwieand

thx airgreg, i found that page in my search, but i was hoping that someone could provide a breakdown by designator, or jets vs. helos or whatever. And Pat, just think, when I'm rich and famous you can tell your grandkids that the great Matt Wieand once spilled a gallon of tea on your kitchen floor in a drunken stuppor!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For some reason I think that number is high, I know you stated that it was "combined" with those other stats. I just recall at my winging, they gave you this card with your Naval Aviator # on it, and part of the winging spiel was there have only been XXX number of Aviators so far in our country's history, blah blah blah...

So, I too call the bull**** flag, and second Road and say, dude, answer your own question and tell us what the answer is, and give us a correct one this time! :D

Don't make me dig through all my filing crap to figure it out, I'm too damn lazy, and am trying to practice how to be a wanna be O4 staff weenie and my random JO tasking ability....

(zab, eagle, steve and the rest of you who would FLAME me for that last statement, I KEED, I KEED!!!)

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
You know what's worse than being a newly minted O-4 and tasking JO's? Being an O-3 and tasking JO's. Both my boss and I are O-3s and he's really gotten me into this whole "tasking" thing. Yep, nothing like bringing a message to your roommate and telling him he needs to make the corrections you just wrote in there. When you do that, you can actually feel the knife in your OWN back. It's an interesting feeling and it sucks.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I've got no allegiance to the numbers... I just found 'em on Google.

It's possible that the 153,000 number includes a lot of foreigners. Didn't we train a lot of Brits or Frenchies during WW2. I seem to remember some buildings at Pensacola with signs saying X,000 British aviators came through these buildings (or something to that effect).

Also, adding up the numbers on page 14 for WW2, it looks like roughly 65,000 people were trained during 1940-1945.

Then again, these numbers might have been calculated by the same monkey that picks your NSS out of a hat.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Perhaps that gouge you found considers a naval aviator any pilot that has ever flown over a body of water. I wonder if seaplane pilots are counted as well.
All joking aside, that number seems very large for just naval aviators. It is obnoxious to me that in the past, throughout parts of the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's, someone with any degree and a marginal GPA could be a naval aviator.
Here I am, going after one of the hardest degrees on the planet, basically trying to be a child of frigging god and I am still facing the odds of a snowcones chance in hell at becoming a naval aviator. :shake_125

rare21

pilot
Contributor
what irks me are those folks that have wanted to be naval aviators since Sept. 11th 2001. i wanted it since i was a kid not just to jump on the patriotic bandwagon. There's nothing wrong with being patriotic but those are the ones plugging up the pipeline and making it harder to get in. Where was everyone when the Navy needed folks? I know i was busting my ass to get a commission.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
There's nothing wrong with being patriotic but those are the ones plugging up the pipeline and making it harder to get in. Where was everyone when the Navy needed folks?

Well, if they're good enough pilots I don't think it matters. I'm sure there's always been plenty of people who wanted to fly since age 6, but couldn't, who've been attrited, and plenty with less motivation, who did better and got wings. The Navy doesn't owe anyone anything.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
rare21 said:
what irks me are those folks that have wanted to be naval aviators since Sept. 11th 2001. i wanted it since i was a kid not just to jump on the patriotic bandwagon. There's nothing wrong with being patriotic but those are the ones plugging up the pipeline and making it harder to get in. Where was everyone when the Navy needed folks? I know i was busting my ass to get a commission.

Well, if you do your math, 2004-2001=3 years....which leads me to conclude that, at least those commissioned through the Academy and NROTC, the "ones plugging up the pipeline" joined PRIOR TO September 11. So quit whining, and keep busting your ass.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i'll whine when i want to..and if you dont like it how bout you stop me?

MR. POOPYPANTS!
leslie_nielsen.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:

Must have been really frustrating for all those Academy grads during WWII that got outclassed by a bunch of OCS draftees and recruits. DAMN THEM!

Stop your *****ing.

I still love your avatar. Mmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.