• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much action in your career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not a fighter guy, but I've seen a couple of combat theaters. Football players spend most of their time in practice, not in a game. Policemen spend more time walking a beat than chasing a perp down a dark alley. Firemen spend a lot more time in the stationhouse waiting for a call than rescueing babies. Life ain't like the movies, and the plot doesn't wrap up with the good guys winning in an hour-and-a-half.

It's a cliche, but true, that war, and flying, is 99% boredom punctuated by 1% sheer terror. That means flying in a war gets you up to 2% terror, so there is some excitement to be had.

Aviation is a pretty interesting way to earn a living, in peace or war. There's supposedly a Chinese curse,"May you live in interesting times." Do I always want to be at the "tip of the spear," as they say? Yes. Not because I have some weird bloodlust, but the same reason a football player wants to be on the field in the 4th quarter--because there's a job to do and I'm supposed to be doing it.

Have I been shot at? Yes. Nothing "Nam-style," but enough to realize that some guy on the ground doesn't want me around anymore. Not fun, but part of the job. Those who have had their backs against the wall, "behind enemy lines," or whatever, generally say it wasn't the most fun thing ever.

I can say from experience, that having an engine catch on fire is enough excitement for one day without any extraneous factors, like hadji trying to kill you. So's recovering on the boat with little gas at night. So, if my country wants or needs me to take the field for the big play, I want to be there, but I'm not sitting around wishing for it.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Missing hikers, vehicle pursuits, car jackings, searches for murder suspects, burglary suspects, vandals, domestic violence suspects missing children and alzheimers patients, interrupting people doing drugs and/or fornicating in their cars, spotting possible (indoor) marijuana grows with FLIR... blah, blah, blah. But rarely a dull moment.

We did have a guy shooting his rifle at us while we were orbiting near his house and another guy (parolee at large) aiming his laser at us (arrested).

I fly the aircraft waaaaay more and the desk waaaaay less than when I was still in the nav. Life is pretty good.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The other day I actually was in a heart pounding situation! I was approaching the merge with an potential MIG and right as I was getting ready to break and debating about putting in the afterburners and going vertical, I realized that it was a blimp and that I was in a 172 and seconds from breaking multiple FARs. It's a hard life we live :D

Oh...you were asking about jets. My bad. Disregard.

LOL.. are you CFIing?

Least you didn't hold down the trigger I mean PTT and make machine gun noises

IRfly

None
Now that I don't doubt. I don't think boredom is a fear given all the stuff you are all talking about in these threads, but I guess I was expecting a little more of the sexy stuff... dogfights, evading surface to air missiles, reconnaissance, fighting aliens - stuff like that. Reading, rereading, rereading, drilling and practicing ad nauseum is all well and good but it would be nice to actually challenge yourself with some action.

Whadaya think? Is this guy for real? He not only wants to fight aliens--he also thinks that recon is sexy...

Here, this oughta help...
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/p-3-eaglep33.jpg

And just in case...
http://library01.wspilots.com/ep3e_vq1.jpg

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Someone's been watching the fourth showing of Stealth on TNT....

Behind Enemy Lines, TOPGUN, Stealth, Iron Eagle, Memphis Belle, Air Force One, and Executive Decision have all been on in like the last week.. and I dont even watch too much TV

FLY_USMC

pilot
So what keeps you guys feeling challenged?
Everyday I wake up and realize there are hundreds if not thousands of people on airwarriors alone that would kill to be me.....and my jobs better than yours everyday and twice on Sunday...that's what keeps me going.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Everyday I wake up and realize there are hundreds if not thousands of people on airwarriors alone that would kill to be me.....and my jobs better than yours everyday and twice on Sunday...that's what keeps me going.

I don't know, a-pool isn't all that bad ;)

Whadaya think? Is this guy for real? He not only wants to fight aliens--he also thinks that recon is sexy...

Here, this oughta help...
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/p-3-eaglep33.jpg

And just in case...
http://library01.wspilots.com/ep3e_vq1.jpg

Yea the aliens thing was a joke - I take it recon is also not as pictured on TV?

Well, I can't say I'm surprised by all this. When the movies are finished this is a professional job and you're speaking like professionals. So what is constant training and all that like? What exactly are you training yourselves on and for, mock ups of missions, just flying around? How much flight time do you get? And what do you do when you are not deployed? What's the 'desk work' angle for all this look like... the mundane stuff you'd rather not be doing but it's just the down side of the job?

Every jobs got one.

Behind Enemy Lines, TOPGUN, Stealth, Iron Eagle, Memphis Belle, Air Force One, and Executive Decision have all been on in like the last week.. and I dont even watch too much TV

Well, don't forget how this is packaged and sold by the armed forces. I assure you on the commercials they do not show pictures of fighters studying, reading, doing more studying and then preparing to train again, again and again.

Can't blame me for working with the only picture I've got.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think I am beginning to see the other side of Joboy.....

Seriously, skyhawk: Search for specific questions. ALL these things (Navy lifestyle, training pipelines, flight time, etc) has been discussed ad nauseam on Airwarriors. Your questions are pretty vague. Formulate some specific ones and search. If you can't find the answers, then ask and there are plenty of folks here to give you a good answer (or make one up, or ridicule you etc).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There are only a few fighter types on this site and of those, my guess is only the older gents have seen any action or at least the type you speak. We have a few F-4/A-4/F-8 drivers, an OV-10 type (not a fighter but he flew with the Black Pony's I believe), etc. As of late, most of all the guys I know who have been in the thick of it, seen combat, are helo pilots.

phrogpilot73

To answer the OP's question - I have 1300-ish flight hours, and about 350 of them are in combat. Have I been shot at? Yes. Was it the most fearful moment of my life? No. Dusty LZ on the western edge of Iraq in LLL with no moon did that for me.

We used to joke that if Top Gun showed what it was really like, it wouldn't have been the big recruiting boom that it was. As phrogdriver said, it's 99% boredom punctuated with 1% of terror. That's pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.